Can a gazebo be put up in a public park?

pinkyBear

Hi folks,
It's my son's birthday in a few weeks. With covid, we are having a small playdate in a public park where he and 3 friends can play football. All social distancing guidelines will be in place. My OH wants to put up a gazebo, just in case it's raining. As this is not something I've seen before, can you? Do you need permission from a city council to do so?

All advise welcomed,
Thanks,
PB

Your LA will have a department that manages parks (Dublin for example), they'll let you know. It will likely depend on the scale and any potential safety concerns.

If you are talking about a regular sized, push-up style gazebo, I'd say go ahead - you can always take it down if asked. Its only going to be a few hours.

Wedding sized marquees would be a different matter.

...go with the typical Irish 'it's easier to ask for forgiveness that to ask for permission' mantra.
Or we could call it being practical and not making more trouble than it's worth. This is a kids birthday party, not a ticketed event for hundreds.

Check if you can find the bye-laws for the parks department in the council. DLR bye-laws forbid fires / BBQ's for example and also don't allow tents but it's in the context of sleeping in the park - there is nothing about coverings for weather. And I've seen kids pop up tents used by families.

I'd say you'd be fine as long as it isn't windy and your gazebo isn't careering across the park decapitating people

Back