Called for a Medical

jo4711

Hi, I have been on disability for the last two years and today I have received an appointment for a medical. I have depression and have been taking medication for the last 12 years. I am also 9 weeks pregnant and therefore can not take my drugs. Has anyone been for a medical? What kind of a ''grilling'' to they give you, did they seem fair? I'm really nervous, I know and my psychartric doctor agrees this too. Any ideas comments greatly appreciated:)

Any use?
Medical Referral Examinations

During the course of a claim to Disability Benefit, a person may be asked to attend for medical examination by a Medical Assessor for a second opinion as to whether s/he is incapable of work.

(See separate guideline on "MED_ASSESSMENT").

The opinion of the Medical Assessor following this examination is submitted to a Deciding Officer for consideration regarding the claimant's continued entitlement to Disability Benefit.

In any case where payment of Disability Benefit is disallowed, the person is notified of the decision and advised of his/her right to appeal against the decision.

For persons in another Member state of the EEA referred to in the paragraph headed Intermediate Certificates, medical examinations on behalf of the Department are carried out in the country in which they are staying/residing at the request of this Department.

It's a bit of a joke really. The assessment takes less than 10 minutes. The doctor asks you a selection of questions from an assessment sheet and then makes a decision on your answers/appearance etc. Considering that your own doctor has been treating you for years and submitting sick certs on your behalf doesn't seem to matter. It appears that they know better based on a 10 minute interview. A friend of mine was very upset at the attitude/coldness of one of the examiners to him. He felt that there was a "cull" taking place and that he was being targeted. He was late for his examination due to traffic/parking problems and was flustered when he arrived.
My advice is to get there on time. Be yourself, you don't need to dress up for the occassion or put on any "act" to impress as it may look as if you are over exaggerating your illness. Your illness will show itself. Get a letter from your doctor to support your illness where possible.

As far as I know its just a random thing designed to assess your claim. I am not sure what kind of questions they'd ask in the case of severe depression but I'm sure if you tell them the truth there shouldn't be any problems.

I did read recently in one of the ERSI studies that one thing they did heavily target a few years ago was "bad backs." Apparently at one point there were huge numbers off sick for back pain and it was eventually felt that it was being abused. They did more detailled checkups on thsoe claiming for this and found a large number of claims didn't really justify themselves. Since numbers claiming sickness and disability for depression related illnesses have rised hugely over recent years its quite possible that they are now trying to stop it becoming a guaranteed way to get welfare.

Of course if you're genuine there's probably nothing to worry about, just tell the truth and don't try to overplay the situation and should be fine. Obviously if you're pregnant you can't take certain medication so they should understand this. The assessors are experienced GPs so will realise this.

I think its only right that these medicals take place. Ok alot of people are genuinely ill but there is too much fraud going on in this area and i for one am sick of paying taxes to fund it.

If a person on medical benefit is genuinely claiming the benefit well then they have nothing to worry about.

I think its only right that these medicals take place. Ok alot of people are genuinely ill but there is too much fraud going on in this area and i for one am sick of paying taxes to fund it.

If a person on medical benefit is genuinely claiming the benefit well then they have nothing to worry about.

A bit like when you were living in Boston and your sister was lodging HER money in to your SSIA account. Ah! but that's different isn't it?:rolleyes:

I have a friend who was called for a medical out with depression. They asked her could she get out of bed. She said yes. They cut her off

Back