Calculating Rental Yield

T

triathlete

When calculating rental yield on an investment property i have owned for a number of years do i use the original purchase price or the current market value.

Thanks

Yield on an investment property is a factor of the annual rental value of the rental property (usually quoted in € / m2 per annum) divided by its current capital market value. In short, Yield = R / P X 100. Thus, the lower the yield the better rate of return on a property. Yield can also be used to calculate a property's current market value where you know rental levels, you can use this formula by substitution.

Unsurprisingly, lower yields are generally achieved in more central, desirable loactions (for example, a modern office in central Dublin will have a lower yield than say Blanchardstown). Prime retail in Dublin would be likely to be around 3%, with prime offices attracting maybe 4 - 4.5%. Industrial yield might be around the 5% mark.

I probably should have concluded by saying that the yield is fixed, i.e.dictated by the market, you do not calculate this as such. If you own the property, you can use the current market yield and capital value to arrive at a rent level.

Back