BWEA (Back to Work Enterprise Allowance) vs getting a job

Nemama

Hi,

What if I get entitled to BWEA but I get an offer from an employer afterwards?
Do I lose the BWEA or I might keep working part-time with this new employer (as employee) and then part time as sole trader and still getting BWEA?

Thanks,

You cannot become an employee and retain your Back to Work Enterprise Allowance

Section 4.16 of the Operational Guidelines reads as follows:

Participants are not allowed to enter into paid employment as an employee, either in a full-time or part-time capacity while in receipt of BTWEA/STEA. It is considered appropriate that if someone is approved for the BTWEA/STEA, s/he should be fully dedicated to the business and, therefore, not engaged in other employments.

Accordingly, participants cannot pursue part-time or temporary employment while participating on the Scheme. This will ensure that clients are devoting 100% of their time to the business venture to maximise the chances of success.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Back-to-Work-Enterprise-Allowance-Self-Employed.aspx#_Toc486252223

Thank you.

Let suggest the hypothesis that the business (for which I got the BTWA approval) doesn't go as good as planned initially and I decide to stop as sole trader and be back to the job seeker market. Can I cancel the BTWA? What would the collateral effects be?

Thanks,

Have a look at Section 4.15 on the website above - the Department will carry out a 3 and 9 month review of your business, and suggest courses of action (to include going back to jobseekers) if the business is not sustainable.

Back