Buying with a friend - avoid stamp duty

J

JackPete

Does anyone have any information regarding the conditions whereby stamp duty may be avoided when a mixed couple - FTB & second time buyer - jointly purchase a second hand property valued at €300k.

I think that the only way to avoid SD in this context is to have only the FTB's name on the property deeds even if both are on the mortgage agreement. However this obviously represents a risk for the non FTB!

Thanks Clubman.

That is not a problem as a deed of trust has been drawn up.

Additionally I would like to know how the second hand buyer can finance their share of the purchase.

I (FTB) will require a mortgage of c. €100k but my partner can pay her share in cash.

Do we get a joint mortgage anyway.

Thanks Again

That is not a problem as a deed of trust has been drawn up.

What precisely do you mean by a "deed of trust"? Make sure that this is acceptable to the Revenue and not deemed to be evasion - just in case they decide that the "sleeping" partner does actually have a beneficial interest in the property and give rise to tax implications.

Do we get a joint mortgage anyway.

Not if you don't need one. Having it joint instead of single means higher mortgage protection life assurance costs for example. On the other hand not applying jointly reduced the amount of mortgage interest tax relief that you can claim. You'd need to consider any other relevant implications before making a decision. You should at least run this sort of stuff by your solicitor to get a legal opinion.

Clubman,

Based on your reply would I be right to assume that the second-time buyer can finance this purchase in cash without any implications for stamp duty payment.

One more question what are the possible implications if/when we sell this property using this joint purchase/one owner arrangement.

Thanks Again

Based on your reply would I be right to assume that the second-time buyer can finance this purchase in cash without any implications for stamp duty payment.

Only if the FTB's name appears on the property deeds I guess. However there may be gift tax or other tax implications in doing this (e.g. ostensibly the FTB is being given a wodge of money by the non FTB to buy a house). I am not 100% sure if this is all kosher to be honest so if in doubt get independent, professional advice/confirmation.

Back