Buying USD?

D

Dunners

Seems like now would be a good time to buy some USD. I plan to buy approx EUR 5-8k worth. My sister works for a local BOI branch so could probably sell me some with little or no commission.
However, I was just wondering if I'd get a better rate by doing an FX trade with a commercial bank? Or is that too much hassle?
Advice appreciated!

Anything useful here?
<!--EZCODE LIST START--><ul><li></li><li></li></ul><!--EZCODE LIST END-->
If the money is for travelling then I've always found it handies to lodge the money to my credit card and draw it down while abroad at a cost of 1.75% built into the PermanentTSB VISA foreign exchange conversion rate.

If you need to transfer the money then perhaps an online payment system like PayPal might be an option?

Buying USD

Thanks Clubman. It's not for travelling - I'm just trying to make a quick buck (!) by holding on to the cash until it's profitable to sell it back....

Re: Buying USD

Eh Dunners, you might want to hang on until it $1.35 to the €1 otherwise that quick buck might be a long time coming.

Brian

It's heading north this morning: €1.2875

Going in the right direction again, 1.2928 today

Quick question, do you have to buy fx with cash or can you pay by credit card or cheque?

Tks,
J

Buying USD

doesn't matter, I can do either cash or credit card...?

Thanks Dunners, just wondering what the banks accept?!

Presumably if you buy foreign currency with your credit card it is treated as a cash advance - so the usual cash advance fee & interest from the date of purchase would apply - which would eliminate any chance of making a profit on the deal?

Presumably if you buy foreign currency with your credit card it is treated as a cash advance - so the usual cash advance fee & interest from the date of purchase would apply

Not if the credit card account was preloaded with cash?

What about paying for it with a credit card cheque?

Credit card cheques are treated as cash withdrawals, so same punitive fees would apply.

€1.31 and dropping [broken link removed]

Outlook for anyone buying US$ doesn't look good.....
"Friday 19th November 2004 By Michael Low - Moneycorp CFX Dealers Daily Forex Commentary &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp

"Good morning TGIF. Pressure on the dollar relented briefly yesterday, as the weekend meeting of the G20 came into sight. Also at 13.30 today, Alan Greenspan and Jean-Claude Trichet are taking part in a panel discussion entitled ‘Euro in wider circles’ and people will be listening for an adjective even stronger than ‘brutal’. As this correspondent believes in ‘Euro in ever decreasing circles’ it’s not surprising that I did not receive an invite to Frankfurt. This afternoon or at the least by Monday morning, the market is likely to regain its ‘cynical’ poise and continue its dollar bashing. In this scenario Sterling is likely to get left behind and the 1.40 €/£ can only be days away. "

Brian

'Hoof Hearted' & 'Ice Melted' were great runners in their day!

Christ Elcato,

Can't you send all AAMers SMS messgaes with this kind of info.?

Unfortunately I can't go on Friday but I presume you will be providing a free bar? :)

Brian

PS. Nice one!

Back