Buying this- a good deal/ good idea??

maison

Recently a small housing scheme has went up in my area (rural area in the south east). There are very nice looking 3 bedroom semi-detached houses, 1275 sq.ft. for €185,000 asking price.

Wondering how do-able or how good an idea it would be to try and buy one of them. I would be a first time buyer buying on my own, assuming i could wangle a mortgage without a permenant contract at work yet. My salary is €36000 a year (probably closer to 40,000 when few other bits and pieces are included) and I could afford a deposit of at least 10,000 at the moment. My only other major expenses are my car and its running costs.

Has anybody done this under these kind of circumstances? The houses look extremely reasonable compared to others Ive been comparing them to. Im finding it hard to reach a decision on what way I should be going overall especially hearing all the economic downturn stories, even though Im a teacher in a relatively stable position and hoping to be made permenant within 2 years. Id also like to be in a position to help out my folks if and when they need it.

From my experience Banks would normally look for persons with permanent contracts etc..but pershaps you have checked up on this one.

185,000 loan equates to 1,000euro per month approx. over a 30yr period assuming 5% APR. Assume you know this.

Only car expense - what about food, entertainment expenses, insurance, rent etc. Banks will normally factor some additional expenses such as these.

Also remember the banks will also stress test your yearly salary to a certain degree. Perhaps more advice on this one is needed....as I would not be an export on this.

The best of luck on whatever you do....by the way also check up on the contractors who built the house and check the construction of the house etc.

more food for thought ....

- Deposit is usually 8% so 10k falls short of this, nearer 15k
- There are more costs with buying such as legal fees, outlays, snagger/surveyor so add another 3k to what you need up front.
- What are your chances of getting a job in the same area you're currently in? Is th place rentable should you need to move? Remember you will loose you FTB status.
- 36k from what I remember is about 2.2k a month. Your repayments after TRS will be about 850 to 900 a month leaving you c1300 a month. Can you live on this currently (add house insurance - maintenance that you dont need to pay when renting).

Back