Buying site to build, need advice

be aware that once you own a house at all you more or less blow away your 'housing need' so it weakens you in terms of a need to get plannning.
It surprises me actually that politicians have not stepped in more to wrest back control of the planning process just so that they could decide on who gets planning...

ARGH!!! its an awful situation... the price of land is bloody mental. Thanks for help anyway, we will keep on looking for that elusive 1/2 acre.
hmmm... found an acre for sale 150K local farmer.

will have to talk to him. Do the home builders here reckon we could build a nice house on a 150,000 budget in the louth meath border area????

maxjam,

Totally depends on size/style of house you are building. From talking to some people building at the moment, it mightn't go the whole way. Spoke yo one guy who built 4 years ago and is building again and he said the costs have rocketed. General advice seems to be to do your sums very carefully before diving in.

Well , were not looking to build a huge house. 1200 - 1300 sq ft smaller if needs be, but one we can add to in the future. its more the idea of being out of an estate on our piece of realestate. having grown up in an estate, I would buy land and live in a mobile home if necessary until i could afford to build !!!

Personally, I don't think building a house should be such a rushed project - if this is going to be your home for life, you need to take you time.
Don't just buy a site becuase its cheap & you can afford it - you need to make sure that you want to live in the area......
Building houses isnt as cheap as it used to be - if going with a builder €100 sq ft is the least you will have to pay - I have heard of the price being as high as €170 sq ft in some cases. Even direct labour works out about €80 sq ft.
I dont think it is advisable to build small now & then put on an extension later - works out more expensive in the long term

I think you need to figure out if you can actually afford this? Mayb you just need to accept the fact that you will have to buy a house in a housing estate......don't mean to be harsh but €60k pa income seems a bit low to me if you have to buy site & build house....I do have a friend who built a house on similar income but they built on family land & did most of the work themselves.

You really need to budget - figure out your max mortgage you can afford (inlcuding if interest rates go up - I usually stress test 3-4% just to be on the safe side) & go from there........

Good luck

Back