Buying residential and changing to business premises

Ceist Beag

We're currently looking for a premises in a town in Kilkenny for opening a cafe and a house has come on the market that looks ideal in terms of size and location, plus it would have the advantage of having rental space upstairs. Has anyone any idea if it is easy or even possible to get planning permission to change a house to a cafe? Would we be mad to even think about buying a house given that we could only apply for such permission after we buy it and if its refused we would be stuck with a house? We're just trying to weigh up the pros and cons as getting the right location is proving quite tricky!

Ceist Beag said:
Would we be mad to even think about buying a house given that we could only apply for such permission after we buy it and if its refused we would be stuck with a house?
Sounds like a significant risk to me. Whether or not it's a risk worth taking depends on many other factors.

Thanks Clubman. Do ye know who would be the best people to approach about enquiring about this? Would it be the County Council?

i would initially consult an architect in the localty you are planning to purchase. Then for further details regarding the specifics, contact the local county council. You should then be in a better position to make a decision on whether or not you should proceed or investigate other viable options.

Under no circumstances buy the property solely on the
advice of a local architect. You will have to speak to the
relevant town planner in the county council and even that's no
guarantee!!! the opinions of architects and planners regularly differ.
Remember you will need to get planning permission to
run a restaurant as planning regulations count anywhere hot
food is served on the premises (i.e. toast !!) as a restaurant a
café means nothing in the regulations. A house will require considerable
investment to convert into a café.

hope that helps

Yes, like I said, initially consult an architect in the localty and for further details regarding the specifics (planning and regulations), contact the local county council.
Thereafter, Ceist Beag will have a general idea of planning permission, structural changes and investment required.

Back