Buying PPR with tenants in situ

AJC

One of my family is looking to buy a house as a PPR

One house that seems good value is currently rented out. Obviously vacant possession would be a must.

However, if an engineers survey was done today (if possible to do a full survey in a rented house) what would need to be put in a contract to have a comeback if the tenants damaged the property between the survey and when they move out.

The problem as I see it is that, even if the condition of the house is fine today, if the owner gives notice to the tenants (assuming there is no problem with this etc) there is no guarantee that the vacant house will be in the same condition as it currently is. Can this be got around ?

If you are having the house surveyed the engineer will not be overly concerned with the general condition of doors, floors, fittings etc. He will be confirming for you that the house is in good structural condition ie walls are straight and built correctly, it meets planning, windows are sized correctly, roof is stable, heating system is adequate etc etc.

It’s unlikely that tenants could cause structural damage – although you never know. Also you would have the same concerns about damage to the property if the vendor was living there, in fact, I would have more concerns about a vendor moving out as they wouldn't be too bothered about marking walls etc while a tenant would be worried about losing their deposit.

I accept that the tenants are unlikely to cause structural damage, but it appears for example that some of the internal door frames may have been damaged already (e.g. not hanging properly from door frames)

The tenants are currently being housed/subsidised by the state, and may not have too much of a personal deposit vested.

In the vast majority of house purchases, someone is living the in house and continues to live there until the day of completion, so wear and tear and even minor damage is possible. You see this as a bigger risk in the case of tenants, I am not going to comment on whether this is fair.

I was advised by my solicitor to arrange a visit to the house the morning of completion to ensure that the house was in the same state as I had agreed to buy, as once the sale completes, the house, in its current state belongs to you and it is not the sellers responsibility. ( I know there are some exceptions to this, if damage was deliberately covered etc).

I dont think you would have much comeback for wear and tear damage
in these circumstances.

Back