Buying Neighbours garden

Introuble83

I am planning a renovation which involves knocking down a large shed in my back garden and rebuilding it. The shed is built on boundary walls and attached to my neighbors shed. There is a row of 6 sheds build side by side .

My query is can I purchase the part of my Neighbours garden there shes sits on ? I don’t want to build a residence but rather a office and home gym .

Has anyone ever done this ? I suspect it’s legally possible but messy and expensive? Thanks

Does the neighbour know about this, be no harm to have a chat. You'll get a better answer if you have to come back here after doing that.

The neighbor has asked me to get more details and revert with a proposal. The house is rented and suspect getting him on board will be easy enough

Get plans drawn up, possibly need planning permission and if purchasing from your neighbour you'll probably require a solicitor to do all the legal paperwork, land transfer, etc.

On a kind of related note...our garden backs onto another estate, to a kind of dead space that is concreted over and isn't really used. The estate has been taken in charge by the council....has anyone ever been able to purchase land like this ? Probably a question for the council but curious to hear if anyone has experience of this. It's is just our house and the one next door in this position.

On a kind of related note...our garden backs onto another estate, to a kind of dead space that is concreted over and isn't really used. The estate has been taken in charge by the council....has anyone ever been able to purchase land like this ? Probably a question for the council but curious to hear if anyone has experience of this. It's is just our house and the one next door in this position.
Council might be happy to transfer ownership of this, particularly if the two properties affected are on-board. If it's not of value for some other purpose, then eliminating a maintenance and potential liability headache could be a win for them.

ur garden backs onto another estate, to a kind of dead space that is concreted over and isn't really used. The estate has been taken in charge by the council....has anyone ever been able to purchase land like this ?
My parents did something like this. All they had to pay was their own legal fees.

Interesting. I might get in touch to see. We lost some of our garden extending so it would be nice to expand if we could.

Back