Buying land to build - blueprint for dummies

alwaysonit

Is there such a thread here?
I can't find one.

- Where should we look for available land? Daft.ie is the only source I know
- Should we only look for land with planning permission?
- If not, how can we predict if PP would be granted, and what type of home can be build on it?

While it doesn't need to have planning permission as such although it would be handy then you should only buy subject to planning permission being granted. Otherwise you just have a bit of a field. Talk to local planning authority about any site you are interested in and what is likely to be allowed.

There are some dedicated self-build forums in Ireland, they'd be good places to do some research.

It's getting increasingly more difficult to obtain planning permission for a one-off house, many authorities have local-needs clauses in place that rule out most from getting permission. Each area is different, so probably best decide where you want to live first, then reviewing the planning records (available online) to see what is being approved in that area.

Thanks for all the responses!

@Leo are there any particular forums you know of?
selfbuild.ie and houzz.ie are the 2 that google shows.

@Leo are there any particular forums you know of?
selfbuild.ie and houzz.ie are the 2 that google shows.
Afraid I don't know any more than those, it's not a path I chose to go down. Something I thought about, but never had the time to dedicate.

There are two Irish self build FB pages Self Build and Renovations Ireland and Irish Self-Build & Renovations that I know of, very informative on lots of things self build. Some of the usual useless contributors but once you weed that out there is good info to be got.

Suggest talking to people locally in areas you are interested in. Some places are horrendously strict (as in locals only where that actually means you were born and live within 100m of site) and I've even heard some now insist you also work in the area also.

Back