Buying item from UK

learnwell

I am enquiring as the extra charges (excise duty, vat ect} that I would incur in buying an item from a UK supplier in the post Brexit era.
The item in question would cost in the region of £300-350 UK vat inclusive. It is a wall mounted foldable shower chair for a person with mobility issues but I imagine the purpose of the item makes no difference.

Alternatively if it was delivered to someone (a relation) living there who then forwarded it on, would it still incur the same charges.

I am enquiring as the extra charges (excise duty, vat ect} that I would incur in buying an item from a UK supplier in the post Brexit era.
The item in question would cost in the region of £300-350 UK vat inclusive. It is a wall mounted foldable shower chair for a person with mobility issues but I imagine the purpose of the item makes no difference.

Alternatively if it was delivered to someone (a relation) living there who then forwarded it on, would it still incur the same charges.
If you can get it delivered to Northern Ireland that's the best option. Trading with Britain post-Brexit is a nightmare. Can you source the same item on the mainland?

Here is an example, all amounts in Euros.

I bought something from a UK supplier in February. The ex VAT price was €336. Carriage to Ireland using Fedex was €28.22. VAT at point of entry was €77.49. Fedex also charged €15 for administration. So, the total cost was €457.61.

Bear in mind that UK suppliers are allowed to supply goods at the ex VAT price if they are shipped to Ireland or the EU.

Will depend on the vendor. If they deal with Ireland or the rest of the EU on a regular basis they will likely charge you the valid excise rate and Irish VAT, and ship the item as DDP or Delivered Duty Paid.

If however they haven't registered to sent in that manner, you should at least ensure they sell you the item VAT free. When it comes to delivery, the carrier will contact you in advance requesting payment of duty (often 10%), VAT & a service fee.

I'm aware of a "ParcelMotel alternative" that has a depot just across the border in Jonesborough, Co Armagh. In my opinion, this is breaking the spirit of the Northern Ireland Protocol, and could lead to a hard customs border if too much traction is gained.

If I go to UK and buy say fabrics worth £200 and bring them back here do I have to pay UK vat to the shop ?

From their website it appears that membership (some sort of legal requirement?) is free and they charge £2 per parcel. Was that your experience?
Yes.

They also have elaborate membership plans for very frequent (I assume business) customers.

If I go to UK and buy say fabrics worth £200 and bring them back here do I have to pay UK vat to the shop ?
Yes, otherwise everyone would go to a shop and pretend to be leaving the country the next day.

As with most countries, there are procedures to reclaim the VAT on purchases you take out of the UK, see here.

Back