Buying from Northern Ireland, Euro conversion charges.

twofor1

I want to buy an item in Ray Grahams in Northern Ireland for delivery to Dublin.

The price on line is €243, delivery is free.

As they are based in NI they say they can deliver to Dublin without any customs charges or extra procedures.

On currency conversion they say;

What way do your Euro conversion rates work?​

All invoices are priced in Sterling. The final Euro price displayed on our website is there only as a rough guide and may not be 100% accurate. The final exchange rate that you pay is out of our hands and depends on the payment method you use and the exchange rate that your bank, building society or credit card company.

https://www.raygrahams.com/FrequentlyAskedQuestions.aspx

So it might not be €243. It looks like I won’t know how much I am actually paying until I order, pay the £211 sterling and only see at a later stage what rate I got and any additional bank charges.

I know the exchange rate fluctuates and banks differ, but what other bank charges could apply to this transaction ?

Would PayPal have any benefit over an AIB debit / credit card for this purchase ?

They are simply inputting a market exchange rate and it the final amount will depend what your payment service charges.

PayPal will be the worst - circa €252

Visa (credit or debit) will be the best at €243. But AIB will add a commission (I think its 1.75%) so total will be €248.

Yes, you could use revolut and save a fiver.

Last edited:
Agreed, Paypal have appaling rates,the Irish banks are next worst rates, use Revolut if possible, noting they reduce rates at weekends, or N26.

There are other options, but for sub £500 payments, probably not worth it

Back