Buying/bidding on a house Subject to planning permission

armelodie

I'm considering buying a house with a view to extending the tiny kitchen.
Neighbours have done same so shouldn't be a problem with precedence or objections. Although can never be 100% certain I suppose.

Q1. Is the usual procedure to ring the Esatate agent and "purchase the property subject to the granting of planning permission"?

Q2. Main Question.....If the offer was to be accepted ...

would it be the Seller that would go away and do the PP application
-or-
would it be myself that would have to do it.​

Q3. If the Seller accepts the offer (i.e. sub to FPP) what's to stop them from puling out of the deal after the PP has been granted? esp. considering that I might have done all the PP groundwork (if the latter in Q2 was the case!!!)
In theory couldn't you put your house on the market and get a prospective buyer to do all the PP work then pull out at the last minute with a handy PP proprosal in your back pocket. (big assumption that a potential buyer would like to extend of course)​

Thanks​

Any other experiences/info/considerations from anyone would be greatfully apprecited and i'll stay posted here with any updates I have.​

It would be highly unusual to offer to buy a house subject to planning permission to extend a kitchen. More often, you buy the house and you take the risk. Unless it is a big extension, it is likely to be exempt from pp anyway.

However, in saying all that, and if pp would be needed, if there is no-one else interested, then a vendor may consider doing so. It would however be a matter of negotiation as to who would make the application. There are risks for both sides in the matter and you should talk to your solicitor as to how best to achieve the result you want.

mf

I thought you did not need planning permission once the extension is under a certain size and not higher then 1 floor?

I agree with MF1 - most unusual but maybe possible in the current climate if the vendor is not in too much of a hurry.

It would normally be you to submit for planning in a case like this as it is you who knows what you want and will carry out works etc if successful

FYI - a single storey extension of less than 40 sq metres which does not change the front elevation of a house is usually exempt from planning

The exemption from applying for permission is subject to a number of preconditions - e.g. that the remaining back garden is greater than 25 sq.m., that the total of all extensions - including previous ones is less than 40 sq.m. so be a little careful with it.

you can get the seller to apply for planning permission but these things take months to go through.

Back