Buying bathroom in Germany

tulip123

We are mid build and having had a quote for our bathrooms here for a crazy price, we went online and can get the same stuff for literally half the price in Germany. I am wondering if anyone has gone ahead and done this and if so what site did you use. Any advise or info would be greatly appreciated.
T
hanks

What prices have you been quoted here for bath + mixer taps, toilet pan & cistern, bassin + mixer, shower tray/enclosure/mixer?
How many bathrooms are you fitting?

From my experience, it only make sense to go abroad if you are in the progress of kitting a large quantity of bathrooms. Be aware of false economy.

We are fitting 2 en suites, a main bathroom and a guest wc. The quote was for nearly 27k which is crazy but we had just wanted to get some idea and we would not dream of spending that much. We agree that we would need to be saving a considerable amount after all transpot costs are paid out.

That sounds very dear - we had a full bathroom renovation plus new radiators in the whole house for 7.5k - would your builder be able to recomend you a builder providers near by?

Absolutly pinkyBear but we just got looking abroad now and feel there is so much better value to be had abroad and would love to hear somebody elses experiences

If your bathroom shopping has just been in Cork city, you might find better value in smaller towns well away for the city. Shops in Dublin for homewares etc tend to be much dearer in Dublin than in places 50-60 miles away.

We are fitting 2 en suites, a main bathroom and a guest wc. The quote was for nearly 27k which is crazy but we had just wanted to get some idea and we would not dream of spending that much. We agree that we would need to be saving a considerable amount after all transpot costs are paid out.

a pan & cistern = €500 max

bath = €750 ( €1800 for betty bath)
bath mixer = €300

basin & semi pedestal = €250
mixer tap = €200

shower tray = €200
glass shower cabin = varies a lot = say €750 avg
mixer taps + shower head = €250

These are rough price guides in Ireland...Based on these prices and you quantity, what's the total?

We bought all our Grohe showers for less than half-price from a German supplier - priceshower.

There's loads of sellers on eBay which is how we found them.

Good luck
SSE

When I was living in Germany, I used to buy my bathroom stuff from megabad.com. They always had the best prices. If you need a translator...

france is good for bathrooms aswell,

check out castoroma.fr and download google toobars, there's a transalation tab, we reckon 5.5K for all our bathrooms, including van hire and ferry price.

4 bathrooms including raditators etc.

Hotlips, how did you ship the goods back to Ireland? did you arrange yourself or did supplier do this for you? What about insurance for breakage?

The supplier did that for us and insurance was included. Shipping was only about €140 for a WC, 2 basins, concealed cistern, various taps, shower heads and thermostats so it was quite a lot of stuff.
Having said that, we have sinced ordered 2 mirrors about shipping for those is also €140 so it seems to be a flat rate.

We've ordered all bathroom fittings for a bathroom and 3 ensuites (except shower doors and 2 standard shower trays) from megabad.com. Ordered 31st January and due next week, fingers crossed. A good friend is a fluent german speaker so we overcame the language issue easily enough. Prices are roughly half what were quoted in show rooms in Cork for Duravit, Bette, Villeroy & Boch, Grohe and Hansgrohe. As another AAM poster said previously, you do need a detailed quote from here first though, complete with model numbers, all brackets, wastes etc. and some of the shower fittings (i.e. thermostats) are 1/2" fittings rather than 3/4" so you need to keep your plumber in the loop about everything you are ordering.
Our order is about 430KG in weight and so the delivery was steep at in the region of €800 - but even with this, we are still coming in at about 5k less than price quoted here :D and thats not included all the extra brackets, wastes etc. that we weren't quoted for here.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your responses, it certainly looks like the way to go. I think its megabad that we have been looking at so once we talk to our plumber I'd say we will get ready to place an order.
Thanks again

We also bought Hansgrohe showering systems and villeroy & boch sanitary ware for main bathroom, 2 ensuites and a guest bathroom in Germany. We were returning to live in Ireland from Germany so we brought them back in a large van! Saved a fortune! What I would point out to you however is that the water pressure in Germany is much stronger. They have pressurised systems there - not like the gravity-fed systems (water tank in the attic) in most Irish homes. This means that if you buy taps from Germany they require a min. of 1 - 1.5 bar, which you probably won't have if you have a gravity-fed system. Just to be aware of that!

Just to let you know the bathrooms arrived all in one piece from Germany with no issues at all. Would recommend it highly.

Have you tried Nationwide Tile and Bath? I bought for 3 bathrooms a few years ago, good quality fittings and taps, total was about 5k.

For 27k you must be ordering some pretty unusual fittings?

Back