Buying back years for privately-paid teaching - Teachers pension

L

lornstar1983

Hi,

I wonder if anyone reading this has bought back years for privately-paid teaching? I was told I would receive a bill in the autumn (nice and vague!) but I don't have a clue about what figure to expect.

I have been privately-paid for the last 2 school years and joined the superannuation scheme last year and have been paying the pension levy from October 2009 to present date. I also opted to buy back pension for 2008/2009 school year.

The school I work in pays me an hourly rate of 48 euro (I have a 2.1 honours degree and 2.1 PGDE). I worked 20 hours/week in my first year and 23.66 in my second year and this year is the same. I read somewhere that the annual pension deductions are 1.5% of gross pay, 3.5% of net pay and a further 1.5% of net pay for spouse and child contributions (I pay PRSI at level A1). I am expecting to pay roughly 5,000 euro for the two years, am I way off? It's hard to know what to expect as my pay (even including sports coaching, exam supervision etc) comes in at less than the basic department-paid teaching salary.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

Back