Buying an apartment for when child turns 18

- Teaching is not a well-paid job

It is - €30K a year within 1-4 years. If you're comparing teaching salaries to those in the IT industry that's flawed - they're not protected, insecure and will end when the EU eventually gets to grips with Ireland's creative tax haven status. Ireland is an agrarian society and will revert to this.

Until recently I lived in a prosperous town in rural Ireland and the only people with buying power were those in the public sector, particularly teachers, who a friend just sold their house to. The house was at the top of the market and the purchasers (both teachers) were first time buyers with no parental subsidy.

It is not accurate to say that “it was almost impossible to get a mortgage unless you were a public sector worker in post-boom Ireland”

Yes it is. I know and know of multiple people who experienced it directly.

- What about the parent in all of this? Say my daughter is on €45k a year; on that basis she can afford very little, if anything, in Dublin. What if my wife and I have surplus cash...are we supposed to leave her unable to buy a home?

She should then move to a place which allows her to buy a house with her own resources.
"Leave her unable" this is bizarre. It isn't the parent's responsibility to problem solve for their adult children.

I’m sorry, but what you’re advocating is some kind of weird Catholic Ireland self-flaggelation.

What?

I am totally against handing kids everything on a plate, which is why I believe in topping up what is normal based on the child’s income. But the reality is that many people who work in very worthwhile sectors cannot compete for properties in many parts of the country. I believe it’s more important for my children to be happy than earning huge money but if that creates a shortfall, what’s the problem with filling it?

Whatever happened to starting off buying something small and dilapidated, then repeatedly trading up? I did this and so did my parents and grandparents. The salary to house values ratio may have changed but it's still possible if you're creative and there are still bargains to be had; unless you have a helicopter parent swooping down to problem solve for you that is.

First time buyers expectation to have their "forever home" has entered the lexicon in recent years, which says it all.

Each subsequent generation becomes more cosseted and entitled due to this pervasive enabling attitude from parents, particularly those whose wealth is recently acquired.
I am not old and to reiterate, I had no help and glad I didn't.

Last edited:
This also causes market distortion, making already unaffordable prices completely out of reach to those who do not have enabling parents to provide a "top-up"

I think I’ve entered a parallel universe where €30k is a decent salary and teachers are like hedge fund managers going around outbidding everyone for houses.

Last edited:
Back