Buying a property with partner while we retain our own existing properties for rental purposes

Ianace

Hello all,

This is my first time posting in this forum so please forgive me if I don't frame this properly or leave out important information. My circumstances aren't overly common, we have engaged a broker who is struggling a bit to obtain AIP for us and I was wondering if any members would have any tips. I'll set out our circumstances:

Me: 44 years old, €103k salary, civil servant, I own a home worth €200k with a €25k outstanding remaining mortgage with 8 years left to run. I have that property rented out currently at €2k per month, I'm overpaying the mortgage of €350 (tracker) by €400 per month currently (€750 total), I have €50k in savings.

Partner: 39 years old, €93k salary, public servant, she owns an apartment worth €375k with €230k left to repay that we're both currently living in, she is paying €1250 per month on the mortgage plus €100 management fees. She has €45k in savings.

We have been saving €2300 per month for the last year between us (more like €2500 per month if increase in current A/C balances is included), our net monthly income after tax (including tax set aside for my rental income liability @ 52%), pensions and health insurance is €9,800, we then pay €2k of that for the mortgages, with another few hundred for management fees, electricity, internet and so on.

Our broker was initially confident that we would have no issue with obtaining a mortgage of up to €600k, we aren't looking to draw down that much as we'd like to keep the monthly repayments for the new property at around the €3k mark. We've been looking at properties that would go for around €600k, so a mortgage of €540k.

Unfortunately our broker has come back to us today to tell us that BOI are saying they won't include any of my rental income/profit as part of my ability to repay, as it's not earned income, reducing what the bank say is our repayment ability to circa €2100, this would only afford us a mortgage of around €440k.

So a few questions, are there other lenders who would take into account rental income at all? I was under the impression that BOI were amongst the better ones in this regard, this does not appear to be the case

What else could we do (apart from, of course, saving harder/more, which may be just what we have to do for another 6 month) to increase the mortgage we could obtain? Even at bare bones, in a worst case scenario with a €3k mortgage and no rental income from either rental property coming in our monthly repayments would be €4,600, with a net income for us after that is paid of €4,200, that seems robust enough from a stress testing perspective but maybe we're dreaming in terms of what we can get while holding on to the two rentals?

Any thoughts or advice is most welcome!

You need to add more information about your financial position eg pensions, children, plans. See the money make over guide

Why not sell both properties, buy a new one for 600k with a mortgage of 300k. Pay that down aggressively while saving for a pension?

So a few questions, are there other lenders who would take into account rental income at all? I was under the impression that BOI were amongst the better ones in this regard, this does not appear to be the case
BOI factored in something like 50% of the expected rent when I approached them directly with a similar proposition ~4-5 years ago.

BOI factored in something like 50% of the expected rent when I approached them directly with a similar proposition ~4-5 years ago.
That was what I was anticipating myself, and it's not even expected rent, it's actual rental income, even that being taken at 50% would comfortably see us where we want to be in terms of a mortgage offer, we're at a bit of a loss really...

You need to add more information about your financial position eg pensions, children, plans. See the money make over guide

Why not sell both properties, buy a new one for 600k with a mortgage of 300k. Pay that down aggressively while saving for a pension?
Thanks very much! We both have pensions provided via work, I'm on a post-2013 civil service pension, I won't make the 40 years as I joined when I was 35, once we have bought a home my next step would be to buy years or go down the AVC route. We don't have any children but would hope to try once we've secured a suitable home.

My gross ROI on my property is 12%, the tax is murder but even after that I'm not sure if the figures add up to sell and put it into the mortgage, I view my rental as a pretty decent earner? My partners apartment is a bit different, €375k value, €230k left to pay, expected rent to be €2,500 per month. It would wash its own face after tax and mortgage but that's about it, apart from the new government landlord incentives. I suppose we're keen to hang on to both as they are in prime rental territory, one generating income and the other paying down equity.

If we were to sell both we'd have a very small mortgage, circa €200k or so, but the rental income would be gone, and I have capacity to lump on my pension without doing that so it would pretty much be a last resort..

To be honest, I never had much luck using brokers.

Have you tried going direct?
Would you have any recommendations? I've messaged EBS and am waiting to hear back, I'd be interested to hear of any lenders that might be willing to look at individual circumstances!

You are very well off so your priority should not be to maximise your wealth.

Your priority should be to get the most suitable house for you and to preserve your wealth.

we'd like to keep the monthly repayments for the new property at around the €3k mark.

Why? You are well off you can afford more or less. Decide where you want to live and then figure out how to manage your affairs to buy that house.

You : Equity of €175k + €50k cash = €225k

Her: Equity of €145k + €45k cash = €190k

House €600k
Less €200k from sale of either house

Mortgage : €400k

Income €200k

So you need only sell one house to buy a €600k house.

That is what you should do.

It seems clear that you should sell your property and then you will be free to go house hunting.

You can buy the new property and you won't be part of a chain.

When you move into the new property, you should probably sell her property as well and reduce the mortgage down to €200k.

You have good incomes.
You have good pensions.
You will have a small mortgage.

Why complicate it with property investment?

Back