Buying a New SUV - from VW but bamboozled with the upcoming budget and new VRT rates!!

NOAH

I am considering buying a new SUV ie new 211 reg and called to a VW dealer today. My aim was to pay cash but discount was measly ie 1,000 euro on a T-ROC. However it would appear I may have jumped the gun as it was explained the budget may impact re VRT and that is where I hit a snag. How do I check what the possible new VRT may be? Or do I wait for budget day? I looked at new VRT and I have to admit I am lost. My current diesel has a reading of 161g/km but I'm taxed on cc.

There’s really no way of knowing in advance what will happen with VRT rates. Various groups are recommending it go up on petrol/diesel cars to encourage cleaner choices, while car dealers want it to come down to stimulate sales and help them recover from C19. The former is much more likely than the latter, but VRT may stay as it is in favour of a ‘polluter pays’ approach which would see higher fuel prices and road tax.

One thing is for certain though, the car dealer wants you to buy ASAP no matter what happens with the tax, so best advice is don’t be pressured and buy when you’re ready.

You consider hanging on for VW’s electric SUV in January, save all the worrying about taxes on petrol/diesel? https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and...set-for-ireland-in-january-1.4362516?mode=amp

Does the increase apply to seconded cars as well? Or it mainly affected new car?

There is no 'increase' yet, until the budget rolls around we have no idea what will happen, sure the government could decide to stimulate the market by decreasing VRT/VAT temporarily on cars.

The press at the moment is around the suggestions from the Tax Strategy Group (https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/fdd38-budget-2021-tsg-papers/), which the government may pay no attention to or implement everything they suggest. The two discussion points getting most attention seem to be increases in the rates/bands of VRT (which would impact new and imported secondhand cars) and excise duty on diesel (which would impact all diesels).

Back