Buying a new apt block delay in completion dates!

C

csr

Hi,
I booked a new apt block paid deposit in May selling agent advised that the apt block will be ready to occupy by mid September.
There was a huge delay in sending out the contracts as suppose to be in just couple of weeks.
At that stage I was bit reluctant to sing the contracts but after confirming with my solicitor and selling agent that the apt will be ready to occupy by mid Sep I signed contracts for selling my current apt and buying new apt. My solicitor gave a closing date of 30th Sep to the buyer.
Since than I am been paying interest on bridging loan, insurance policy etc., Brought flooring, furniture and I been postponing the appointments with installers.
Buyer of my current threatening me to walk out of the sale and suing me.
Indeed he directly walked into our house started arguing with my wife. At last the builder suppose to hand-over the keys tomorrow but now they get back to me saying apt wont be handed over till at least mid Nov. Mortgage cheque is with our solicitor. We told the seller that will be closing current house by end of this month and we need to move to some temporary accommodation and keep our furniture etc in to a storage (Which is costing over 2k).
On the other hand our holidays are ahead in mid November that means though builder ready to close the apt we may not be around to take the keys.
Builder, selling agent and my solicitor was well of my holidays before I sign the contracts.
I am just wondering what kind of legal rights I have against my solicitor, selling agent and builder in this situation?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
"I am just wondering what kind of legal rights I have against my solicitor, selling agent and builder in this situation? "

None. Closing dates (particularly in new builds) are aspirational only. Your Building Contract will have a long closing date - normally a max of 18 months from signing contracts.
Selling agent has no obligations.
Your solicitor cannot tell you anything other than what they have been told.
You can hold out now on your sale and run the risk of losing your purchaser - this is not a good idea in the current climate. Or complete the sale, take the money, and rent until new place is ready. Inconvenient yes but practically a better option.

mf

Many thanks mf.

The issue here is the building construction is completed including my snag list. But there is some legal problem for the builder to close the deals. Informally I came to know about this before signing the contracts and I mentioned this with my solicitor. After couple of days enquiry and speaking with builder solicitor he came back to me saying the issue has been resolved with appropriate govt bodies and there is no problem whatsoever in signing the contracts. Now the builder solicitor is saying same problem again that means my solicitor did not looked in to this matter very seriously. I guess that's what we are paying him for right?

One more question can I actually walk out from buying this new apartment block and look for some thing else at this stage.

thanks,

Back