Buying a Laptop

yeah the apple macbooks are briliant - if even for the fact you don't have to keep running nortons and spyware programs on them!

No one uses Norton. It causes loads of problems and slows down a machine. When we are fixing computers its the first thing we remove.

Apples aren't impune to problems and Apple aren't always very keen to fix them when you do have them. For example, there been lots of other issue like that too, that people have had to fight to get design faults covered. But other than that they are ok. PC Pro has an piece "32 reasons why PCs are better than Macs". Its meant to be a fun article, but theres few truths in it. I like Macs, (couldn't eat a whole one) but they are not trouble free as some would like you to believe. In genral, most people have few problems with their computers, PC's or Mac's.

The dell outlet has €80 pre VAT discount at the moment. BTW.

Above all else, be sure to get a 3 yr warranty on the laptop. 1 in 12 laptops have a hardware problem in year one. Thats an industry figure.

I buy Dell all the time, always works for me. People will give out about them but service has improved greatly.
Have Inspiron 6400 and love it. Has fantasic sound compared to most laptops if you are into music.

The iQon Bank Holiday Clearance in their warehouse looks interesting and could be worth a visit and a look. I'm not a huge fan of theirs but if its cheap and represents good value etc...

[broken link removed]

Price List is located on the webpage here

[broken link removed]

I was in Harvey Norman yesterday and noticed a Sony C1 series laptop for 999.

The c2 was 1300+ in the sony store last week.

Can anyone tell me what the differecen is between the C1 and C2 I've looked them up and they seem quite similar so don't understand the big price gap as the other sony paptops were all in a similar price range in both stores.

Hi,

Was out looking at laptops at the weekend (again!!!) and I had a question and I didn't get much of an answer from sales assisant. Basically I want to be able to watch DvDs on my laptop.
I want to get a laptop that can do this already, the sales assisant jsut said you have to download sofware to do this. Is this true? I thought it was possible to get laptops with a DVD drive already?

Cheers!!!

They may not come with the software required to decode and play DVD content by default and you may need to buy or download suitable software (e.g. the application itself or else codec plugins) for this.

Clubman- Is this the case with most laptops? I'm not very good at this but I have a better Idead of what I want now!

Theres lots of movie formats on web you can download that the laptop won't be able to play without downloading more software, player or codecs. DiVX for example.

But for regular DVD's you put in your DVD player under the TV, every laptop (as far as I remember) I've seen that had a DVD drive had the minimum software installed to play a regular DVD. Might be a cut down version but you could play a DVD.

I'm pretty sure that the Sony Vaio PCG-K23 that I bought at the start of 2005 didn't come with software to play "normal" pre-recorded DVDs. Maybe it's because I bought it in the US and it only did region 1 or something? Or because it was over two years ago? Can't remember the details.

I'm pretty sure that the Sony Vaio PCG-K23 that I bought at the start of 2005 didn't come with software to play "normal" pre-recorded DVDs. Maybe it's because I bought it in the US and it only did region 1 or something? Or because it was over two years ago? Can't remember the details.

Found two links to that machine. The first has no DVD drive. http://compreviews.about.com/od/deskreplace/gr/SonyVAIOPCGK23.htm
The second has InterVideo WinDVD, http://www.amazon.com/Sony-PCG-K23-Notebook-Pentium-Drive/dp/B00029ZV0S

My old sony a GRT895 had InterVideo WinDVD on it too. Maybe yours didn't but 2005 is then this is now in fairness. :) Just check the specification of the model when buying and don't rely on what some sales assistant is telling you. Or get them to put it writing. ;)

Found two links to that machine. The first has no DVD drive.
I think that there were variations on the same model number. Mine definitely has a CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo drive.
The second has InterVideo WinDVD
Ah - I think it came with this alright but I don't think it would play Region 2 DVDs without some messing around (possibly even hacking the drive to be region free or something - it's a while ago...).

I'm also hoping to buy a laptop soon. It will be mainly for home use with the kids. There are a few things I want:
1. Store music and pictures on it.
2. A flash card reader (the cards you put in your camera)
3. To watch DvD's on it.
4. Decent battery life
5. Budget of Euro750
I'm also not sure whether or not to go with Vista or Xp. I'm used to XP and haven't ever used Vista.
Also I have looked on the internet but I'm really not sure which to go for or which brand is reliable.
Anybody got any recommendations? They's be greatly appreciated!

Back