Buying a Kids bike from UK - Brexit

sean1970

Has anyone purchased a kids bike from UK? I have my quote for the bike for 199 stg and being honest I asked them would I be liable for any additional cost because of Brexit and the store told me that I have local taxes due on delivery, to confirm these costs they recommend checking with your local customs office.
Not sure what number to call as anyones I have tried just ring out. Appreciate any experienced advice with this.

Has anyone purchased a kids bike from UK? I have my quote for the bike for 199 stg and being honest I asked them would I be liable for any additional cost because of Brexit and the store told me that I have local taxes due on delivery, to confirm these costs they recommend checking with your local customs office.
Not sure what number to call as anyones I have tried just ring out. Appreciate any experienced advice with this.

In my opinion you could be entering the Lions Den. Sure, the TCA agreed between the EU and UK allowed for tariff-free trade but only for goods originating in the UK. chances are the bicycle was not manufactured in the UK, you would need to establish if it was.

For some countries in SE Asia the tariff on bicycles originating there and coming into the EU is 14% from a country outside the EU Customs Union..... which is what happens now when it comes in via the UK. Then there is Vat in Ireland when it comes into the country, what 23%. Then there are customs clearance fees..... you could be looking at a very expensive bicycle!

You'll have 23% VAT,and (as far as I can gather,14% duty)
So,for example
Bike 199
Delivery 20
euro total 255
Duty 35.70
Customs clearance charge 15
Vat 70.30
Total cost €376
Edit:If the bicycle retailer was Irish vat registered,then the final bill would be cheaper,but this doesn't seem to apply here.
I've also assumed that the bicycle was made in China because it wouldn't be retailing at this price point if it wasn't.

Last edited:
Why not support an Irish business instead of sending money to the UK?

Especially given that many are on their knees.

Post Covid, I think there’s an onus on all of us to spend domestically where possible.

We simply have to learn how to bypass these UK distribution hubs, even a French distributor would be better. I take your point, we should be supporting Irish importers but do we know of any Irish bicycle wholesalers?

We simply have to learn how to bypass these UK distribution hubs, even a French distributor would be better. I take your point, we should be supporting Irish importers but do we know of any Irish bicycle wholesalers?

We should at least be giving retail margins to Irish businesses.

We should at least be giving retail margins to Irish businesses.
I do not disagree at all, I am merely making the point that there is a behavioural element here where we have to consciously avoid UK distribution hubs which was the norm for a lot of Irish imports pre Brexit. Instance how many have adapted to amazon.de etc for internet shopping

Reactions: jpd
I am going to try and source it in Ireland. Ireland needs to be a little bit more creative with styles and pricing. Wouldn't it be great if there was a Bike to school scheme similar to the bike to work scheme. It would be great for Irish businesses, getting kids out on bikes and out of cars.
I think I will email Mr Eamon Ryan.

I am going to try and source it in Ireland. Ireland needs to be a little bit more creative with styles and pricing. Wouldn't it be great if there was a Bike to school scheme similar to the bike to work scheme. It would be great for Irish businesses, getting kids out on bikes and out of cars.
I think I will email Mr Eamon Ryan.

There is...most shops will give you kids stuff under the Bike to Work

There is...most shops will give you kids stuff under the Bike to Work
That would be illegal though. What style of kids bike can you not get in Ireland? Have you looked at EU websites? There is the benefit of buying more expensively from your local bike shop in that they'll fit it for your child and will deal with any issues, usually give a few months after purchase service that you won't get online.
Doubt a bike to school system would be brought in.

Why not support an Irish business instead of sending money to the UK?

Especially given that many are on their knees.

Post Covid, I think there’s an onus on all of us to spend domestically where possible.
I agree with purchasing here, but I don't think any bicycle shops are on their knees. Most had to take on extra staff due to a boom in business.

I'd also be buying locally as if there was an issue, the UK shop would find it difficult to resolve it.

I mix and match my online purchases.
Some things on the UK Amazon site are cheaper than the German site but quite a few aren't.
I would support Irish retail but so many of them are rip-off merchants - I buy my Cuban cigars from Germany at a 40% discount and with free postage.
I presume the few Irish stores that sell them source them from the same place.

I would support Irish retail but so many of them are rip-off merchants - I buy my Cuban cigars from Germany at a 40% discount and with free postage.
I wouldn't agree with this statement, yes of course there are some retailers that are total ripoff merchants but for the main part most of them cannot be as competitive as our European counterparts or online retailers due to the high cost of doing business here in Ireland
I personally try with all my purchases to by local and don't mind paying a little extra for the privilege as long as its relatively close to the cheapest price I can find but when the savings start to run in the 20, 30 and 40% you'd be mad to buy from an Irish retailer

In the case of the OP I would have thought it would have been very easy to source a kids bike in Ireland for the same price as he would have been paying to have it shipped from the UK even pre Brexit but supply might have been the deciding factor there in these covid times
But when I go looking at buying bikes for myself I cannot deal with an Irish retailer any more simply down to huge price differences I can find with online retailers

I wouldn't agree with this statement, yes of course there are some retailers that are total ripoff merchants but for the main part most of them cannot be as competitive as our European counterparts or online retailers due to the high cost of doing business here in Ireland
I personally try with all my purchases to by local and don't mind paying a little extra for the privilege as long as its relatively close to the cheapest price I can find but when the savings start to run in the 20, 30 and 40% you'd be mad to buy from an Irish retailer

In the case of the OP I would have thought it would have been very easy to source a kids bike in Ireland for the same price as he would have been paying to have it shipped from the UK even pre Brexit but supply might have been the deciding factor there in these covid times
But when I go looking at buying bikes for myself I cannot deal with an Irish retailer any more simply down to huge price differences I can find with online retailers

The high cost of doing business ?
Ireland has the lowest corporate tax rate in Europe by far.
What other costs are substantially higher compared to say Germany,France or Spain ?

Some things on the UK Amazon site are cheaper than the German site but quite a few aren't.
You are liable for tobacco products tax.Its only luck that you haven't had a parcel intercepted so far.

I couldn't tell you what costs in Ireland are "substantially" higher when compared to our European cousins
I'm sure each country would have would have some that are higher then ours and some that are lower then ours
Ireland may have a low corporation tax but that is a tax and a tax on profits if your making profits
The costs that I was more thinking about are rent, rates, vat, wages, insurance, buying stock and holding stock
compliance costs with legal, accountancy and health & safety standards, the cost of fitting out your business premises and maintaining it
The list goes on and on and yes I know that all businesses in every country have these costs on one level or another but It has been my experience and the other business owners that I've come into contact with that Ireland is a very expensive place to both live in and work when compared.....

The margins on cigars here is miniscule - I sold them many years ago.
The excise duty is massive and vat applies to the excise duty. I would wager that the German shop has a better profit on the cigars than any Irish store. Tobacco tax is quite low in Germany.

One reason why some Irish stores are more expensive is volumes. We are a small island of 4.8m people, we don't have the buying power of some German stores. But sometimes the Irish store is cheaper - I sell to many German, Italian & Dutch customers because I'm cheaper than their local stores for the identical product even after delivery fees.

Back