Buying a house which has been vacant for some time

presidenttttt

Hi all,

Any general pointers of what to look out for in a house that has been vacant for a few years. I am guessing some problems can arise, ranging from big leaks to sticky taps and shower heads.

In this case I understand it may have a bank issue, so unlikely to have had someone in doing frequent checks/heat I assume.

Still to take a look but large property, supposed to be B rated, under floor heating, geothermal, no obvious signs of damp, septic tank. Not sure what other big picture stuff is worth mentioning.

Is it a surveyor that could do an in-depth check for me?

I havent used them but have heard good things about Property Health Check.

They are more expensive but more thorough than standard surveys.

Thanks, they also list a price for getting in someone to give an opinion on the geothermal heating, which many don't. Any other recommendations?

I imagine some operators in busier locations are quiet happy to tick boxes and not do much more than check if anything is hanging off? With a big purchase I would be keen to see a meaningful check - Many don't for example check major drains with a camera as standard, which I would have thought would be a low cost high value thing to do? For example, should I expect a roof check to be a flash light shining from the entrance, or someone meaningfully getting up there and making sure timbers are all sound?

Many don't for example check major drains with a camera as standard, which I would have thought would be a low cost high value thing to do?
The majority won't do this, or if they offer the service, it will attract an additional charge. There is a time and equipment cost to doing this correctly. Usually a visual check at the inspection points is enough to highlight potential problems that might justify a camera inspection, but in a house that has been vacant for some time, the state of the drainage system will be a little more difficult to assess.

For example, should I expect a roof check to be a flash light shining from the entrance, or someone meaningfully getting up there and making sure timbers are all sound?
You'll need to ask. Many will just view from the access point as insurance to go into attic spaces is more expensive.

Always ask for a sample report and ensure they are quoting for any areas that your own viewing might have highlighted.

Hi all,

Any general pointers of what to look out for in a house that has been vacant for a few years. I am guessing some problems can arise, ranging from big leaks to sticky taps and shower heads.

In this case I understand it may have a bank issue, so unlikely to have had someone in doing frequent checks/heat I assume.

Still to take a look but large property, supposed to be B rated, under floor heating, geothermal, no obvious signs of damp, septic tank. Not sure what other big picture stuff is worth mentioning.

Is it a surveyor that could do an in-depth check for me?
Sure is, that's exactly what they are there for.

Sure is, that's exactly what they are there for.
If you want something specific done, you will need to make it very clear in writing. I suggest you write down exactly what it is you want checked out. Be very specific, and even then there's lots of stuff that cannot be really checked. I doubt very much you'll get everything you want checked. For example; has the cavity insulation sagged, any vermin infestation, have the inside walls started to peel, likewise the ceilings, if there's chimneys, are they open and free from twigs, nests, birds? What's the story with the heating, especially the underground and the pumps? If connected to water, is it flowing, what about showers, shower heads, taps, cylinder, bathroom suites, toilets, piping and pressure? Electrical fitting, wiring, "fuse box" or whatever it's called and a cert from a qualified electrician is "a must have". Exterior of the house is another job you'll need to check, sewer piping, gutters, downpipes, waste pipes, driveway, shed, walls, capping, garden, etc. I'm presuming there's solar on the roof, that needs checking? Ext boiler or heat pump needs checking out and servicing. Windows, doors, skirting, architrave and stairs? What state are they in? and if the kitchen's fitted you need to have it checked out. There's plenty more stuff as well, and if you yourself are handy and knowledgeable you could do a fair bit of it. A few bits there to keep you going and hope I haven't frightened you. Then again, the whole place might be 100% sound. Good luck with it and let us know how you get on. I knew someone who bought similar, he took a gamble and got lucky for not huge money, but that was a few years ago. A lot of things have tightened up a lot. Have your eyes wide open and don't let your heart rule your head is my advice to you. Out of curiosity, are you buying from an auctioneer, a builder or the "owner"?

Last edited:
Back