Buying a house from partner

S

skipman

Hi
Myself and my boyfriend recently split up and have owned a house together for the last two years. I am hoping to buy him out.
He is looking for the full value on the contents, I think this is a bit unreasonable. What is the general depreciation on goods such as all kitchen appliance, beds, couch etc.
also he received a number of presents when we originally bought - our gas fire and the alarm system. Would these be included in the value of the house, or should I repay him for this also

Hi Skipman - Sorry for your trouble, as they say. I don't think there is any 'standard' approach to these things. It really is down to negotiation.

When you say that he's looking for 'full value' of contents, I presume that he means 'initial cost'. This has little relationship to the current value of these items. Try calling his bluff - tell him he can take the items out of the house and you'll deduct whatever he is calling 'full value' from his share. Tell him he can take his gas fire and his alarm system out as well!

you chould both get the house valued independently and agree a value - this will include the gas fire and alarm system as these items would be considered part of the house. Havng said that - if he put in more into the house initially then he should be entitled to a proportionally greater share of the house now. - Where the presents just for him or were they intended for the both of you? Given that they were presents for a jointly owned house you could argue they were intended for the benefit of you two as a couple.

As for the furniture, let him take half - he could sell it second hand if he wants - there's no way he'd get the initial cost back unless you invested in antique collectables. He might be more willing to agree to a reasonable market value then.

I think calling his bluff as rainday suggested is probably the way to go at the moment.

I've actually just bought my partner out of our jointly own house - be aware there are a lot of costs involved - solicitors, land registry fees, new mortgage fees, valuation fees etc.

Back