Buy Now or Buy Later

SligoInvest

Any advice appreciated.
I have a mortgage on an investment property and am due SSIA of c. €40,000 in February. The plan was to take this off the mortgage, in addition to the €500 my husband and I are currently paying into the SSIA. THis will save us a lot of interest and will pay off the property in 7/8 years.

We have however seen another investment property we like and are trying to decide whether to pay off the existing loan in 7/8 years or to combine the 2 loans over 20 years.

I think we should pay off the first morgage (with reducded interest) and then buy another in 7 years over a shorter term e.g. 10 years (thus saving more interest). I know that proprty will have risen but feel that the 2 savings in interest will more than offset this. My husband is more keen to buy the new property and merge the loans - I have looked at this and feel that the interest payment are excessive.

Any opinions????

Re: Buy Now our Buy Later

With current yields property investment in Ireland is all about leveraging. But with the current market uncertainty this looks like a very risky thing to gamble on. My advice is to take the money off your mortgage and don't buy the other property, then with a lower LTV on the property shop around for a cheap mortgage. If you do buy you will need circa 10% capital appreciation before your transaction costs are covered. The chances of this happening in the next two or three years are slim.

Any advice appreciated.
I have a mortgage on an investment property and am due SSIA of c. €40,000 in February. The plan was to take this off the mortgage, in addition to the €500 my husband and I are currently paying into the SSIA. THis will save us a lot of interest and will pay off the property in 7/8 years.

We have however seen another investment property we like and are trying to decide whether to pay off the existing loan in 7/8 years or to combine the 2 loans over 20 years.

I think we should pay off the first morgage (with reducded interest) and then buy another in 7 years over a shorter term e.g. 10 years (thus saving more interest). I know that proprty will have risen but feel that the 2 savings in interest will more than offset this. My husband is more keen to buy the new property and merge the loans - I have looked at this and feel that the interest payment are excessive.

Any opinions????

It depends on where you would be looking to buy the investment property in my opinion so as you can weigh up the potential interest saved against a potential gain and/or rental income

Thanks for that
We have decided to pay off our mortgage asap due to rsing interst rates and poor rental returns.
THanks

Thanks for that
We have decided to pay off our mortgage asap due to rsing interst rates and poor rental returns.
THanks

A very wise decision IMHO

Yields are simply too low to consider property investment at the moment

Back