Buy in UK, Car Ferry or Cross border home (post Covid restrictions)

David_Dublin

Hi Folks - sorry if this is a thick question.

If I go up north and buy lots of stuff because it happens to be cheaper, say sanitary ware to fit out some bathrooms, put it in my car and drive back south, I presume nobody will stop me, yet this helps me avoid import duties.

If I do the same but take the ferry to the UK, presumably I could be stopped on arrival in Dublin and have to pay the duty, right? Do we know if that is happening or likely to happen?

Assuming the products are made in the UK, there is no customs duty, thanks to the Brexit FTA.

Alcohol products in excess of your allowance may attract a duty, but not sure if they are checking.
I read reports elsewhere of duty free being available on the ferries with small allowance.

Sorry, should have been clearer - I am referring to products not made in UK, just bought there.

Presume if bought in NI & driven down south, there is no possibility of "being caught".

What are businesses doing? Like a builder/contractor. Can they drive their van up to NI and buy stuff not made in UK if cheaper, and bring back down.

I imagine there's some risk of being caught if coming in on the ferry, particularly if you had a van rather than a car.

I can only assume spot checks will be carried out. Same as normal regarding NI reg cars coming south. I think the Social Welfare do checks now and again on 'signing day' also.

Would the following scenario work around make any difference.
Buy the products in the UK but get a ferry direct to Larne or would customs notice the southern registration of the vehicle and make further enquirers.

Sounds like a lot of hassle. I think buying up north is probably the way I would go. Context for my specific use case is that we're looking at a big refurb, new bathroom(s), kitchen, utility etc, if the savings were there, and we avoid duty by collecting rather than being delivered, it is something I would be interested in investigating when the time comes. And it is safe to do so!

Context for my specific use case is that we're looking at a big refurb, new bathroom(s), kitchen, utility etc, if the savings were there,

Take a look at Germany where it may be even cheaper.

You're unlikely to fit much in a car to achieve savings that will outweigh the ferry costs and time spent. All crossings from GB to Ireland north and south are now subject to customs checks. In a private car you then risk getting caught in a spot check, in a commercial, it's unlikely there is any way to avoid customs.

Back