Buy 2nd hand car in Dec 2005 or Jan 2006?

bacchus

I am looking at buying second hand car (about 3 year old) , and i am not in any hurry.

Should i wait January 2006, or is Dec 05 also a good time?

bacchus said:
I am looking at buying second hand car (about 3 year old) , and i am not in any hurry.

You should buy mine...now :D

bacchus said:

Based on the ridiculous behaviour of many new car buyers who only really care about having a low reg number for 06, the theory would be that January would be the better time to buy 2nd hand when their stocks are higher.

Though, I suppose, in anticipation of this, dealers may be trying to clear out existing 2nd hand cars before that, so December may be a better time :confused:

On balance though, given the highly overpriced 2nd hand market for most cars in this country, it will probably not make any difference when you buy.

Though, where you buy can make a difference. Through my own research, there's approximately a constant €3k difference between Mayo and garages in the west in 2nd hand prices for a 2001 Ford Mondeo. (Dublin being cheaper).

Best thing to do is do your research (cbg.ie and the rest of the places), work out what you're willing to pay, and when you find a car at the price and quality you want, move forward. See about doing a deal at that stage.

As Brendan always says, there's no point trying to time the market.

ronan_d_john said:
Based on the ridiculous behaviour of many new car buyers who only really care about having a low reg number for 06

But what about those who just want to treat themselves to a new car and be in a better position to bargain before the SSIAs mature?

Back