Home Burglar Alarm/Insurance Claim

dewdrop

I have a simple alarm system that covers the internal ground floor area. Strange as it may seem i often do not activate it at night as i am a poor sleeper and often wander downstairs to watch tv. I have a fear that i will activate the alarm if i had it on. In the event of a claim could the insurance company refuse to pay as the alarm was not on. All i can recall re the Insurance was a question did i have an alarm. I cannot remember if it was pointed out that it must be on at night. During the day when i am out i do of course put it on.

A friend had her claim turned down because she had an alarm discount and the alarm was found to be faulty after a burglary.

No. The alarm endorsemenents states that it has to armed every time you leave the property unattended. Even if you are just nipping to the shops. No requirement to have it on whilst you are there. Oh and it has to serviced and operational.

If you have a tendency to forget to turn the alarm on when you leave the house, then you're better off not claiming the alarm discount on the insurance.

I have a simple alarm system that covers the internal ground floor area. Strange as it may seem i often do not activate it at night as i am a poor sleeper and often wander downstairs to watch tv. I have a fear that i will activate the alarm if i had it on. In the event of a claim could the insurance company refuse to pay as the alarm was not on. All i can recall re the Insurance was a question did i have an alarm. I cannot remember if it was pointed out that it must be on at night. During the day when i am out i do of course put it on.

Most alarms have a setting that you can activate the boundary (ie window and doors contacts) only and not the senors so you can walk aroud the house with the entry points armed. this would allow you to turn it on at night and still be able to walk around if you wish.

In relation to your insurance question it comes dwn to policy wording.

Axa state that in order for a claim to be successful with the alarm endorsement the following must apply:

"the intruder alarm (including its mthods of signalling) is in thorough working order and is being maintained and regularly inspected"

They actually dont even state that it must be turned on.

Liberty state:

"the burglar alarm fitted to the home is in full working order and is set at all times when a responsible adult is not in the home and regularly (at least once a year) inspected and maintained by an approved company and any faut corrected immediately"

Aviva state:

"we will not cover .....unless the intruder alarm system:
a meets EN50131 or IS199 standard;

b is installed and maintained by an intruderalarm
company approved by the NSAI
(National Standards Authority of Ireland),
EQA Ireland, Management Systems
Certification Ltd., SSAIB or CerticCS;

c the installer holds a PSA (Private Security
Authority) licence; and

d the alarm is set and working when there is
no person at home."

Allianz states:

"Where a burglar alarm is installed as our requirement or for which You have been allowed a premium discount You hereby agree to maintain the installation in accordance with the suppliers recommendations and to have the alarm switched on and in service on all practical occasions"

So as you can see there is a variance in what the different companys policies state. Depending on who you are with will depend on what is required in order to comply with the policy conditions.

Back