Bulk buying meat

They may not decay but they do pass the sell by date which could lead too all sorts of issues.
That’s the reason the likes of Tesco sell some meat cheap as it’s very close too it’s sell by date.
The sell by date means nothing once you freeze them, that refers to the fresh meat and when it must be used by. Sure how would freezing stuff work at all if it still only had a few days of a shelf life? The meat Tesco sells cheap is because it's coming to it's sell by/use by date for fresh meat. Totally different ball game once you freeze it.

Different if you buy for example a prefrozen dish, it might (I don't know I've never looked) have a 'use by' date on it but again that will only be related to quality and again freezers differ, some keep stuff good for longer than others.

The sell by date means nothing once you freeze them, that refers to the fresh meat and when it must be used by. Sure how would freezing stuff work at all if it still only had a few days of a shelf life? The meat Tesco sells cheap is because it's coming to it's sell by/use by date for fresh meat. Totally different ball game once you freeze it.

Different if you buy for example a prefrozen dish, it might (I don't know I've never looked) have a 'use by' date on it but again that will only be related to quality and again freezers differ, some keep stuff good for longer than others.
Frozen food has a use by date as well, in general - this is to minimise risk of freezer burn.
But usually nothing to worry about.

Can't remember the specifics of it now but some of that mountain of frozen EU intervention beef was distributed through charities etc to the needy and that stuff was frozen for years! In good freezer units mind you, around 1992 google tells me.

A friend of mine at the time was working with one of the charities, dropped one of the boxes on her foot and ended up on crutches, a big box of frozen beef hurts!

They may not decay but they do pass the sell by date which could lead too all sorts of issues.
That’s the reason the likes of Tesco sell some meat cheap as it’s very close too it’s sell by date.
The sell by date it for refrigerated produce, not for frozen produce. You can freeze stuff for years and it won’t decay. That’s the point of freezing it.

Back