Bulgaria

S

Son of Jarel

Apologies if I've missed any posts on this before...

Am thinking of going to Bulgaria on holidays this year as I've heard good reports about the Black Sea resorts (from non-Irish friends, Swedes and Germans mostly).

It's a little more expensive to get there, and a bit more under-developed, but is seemingly very friendly and (importantly) cheap!

Has anybody done this and has anybody spent time in Sofia as we're thinking of going for two weeks so we would spend time there? All feedback welcome!

Germans, Swedes, and Brits abound in Sunny Beach and Golden Sands. Avoid the Soviet-era Black Sea resorts like the plague. Try the villages of [broken link removed] or [broken link removed].<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->N.B. A word to the wise - learn the pronunciation of the Cyrillic alphabet. Outside of the tourist areas there is scant English spoken and even less Latin characters (but as you would imagine, most menus in German!)<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->Sofia is oppressively hot and full of diesel fumes in summer. That is why everyone legs it to the Black Sea.

Hi

Was in Bulgaria in 2001. It was definitely an experience and a holiday with a difference. The beaches were gorgeous. Changed our money into Deutschmarks to bring over, then exchanged over there for the Bulgarian Levs. We stayed in a resort called 'Golden Sands'. The nearest city was called Varna, and was a bus trip away. Everything was for nothing when we were there, we worked out that a bottle of Heineken/Budweiser was 17p (irish pence!). They had Pizza Hut and McDonalds which we practically lived off over there.

There was also a more seedy side to the resort we were staying in, basically all but 2 of the hotels were run by the mafia. The main street was literally a red light district! Not sure if the other resorts are the same or if it has changed since then...

HTH

I would tend to agree with the above poster that it is a bit of a kip. I was there in 2001 and would never go back. The hotel was ok, bedrooms basic enough. My main problem was the food which was really disgusting. Granted everything was very very cheap but by the end of my stay I would gladly have spent more money for a decent meal. There wasn't a whole lot to do at night. I was also in the resort Golden Sands and it was sleazy. If a fella was walking by himself in a certain area he would be approached by women offering services while families were walking around nearby!! Also the resort it away from local areas with security guards at entrance points so its really cut off from the local area and people.

hotel filthy (squashed bugs on the wall)
food disgusting (best meal we had was mcdonalds on a day trip to a city)
people very unfriendy

Au contraire, had a great laugh. Absolutely dead cheap and delicious meals. Had shopska salad as often as possible along with the most amazing marinated and roasted meats. Maybe I prepared a wee bit by learning how to say their greetings, and few pleasantries, and how to order a pint (goljama nalevna beera). It certainly charmed the locals and amazed the babes at the local beachfront bars.<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->YMMV

Back