Built In Under Ovens

Tonash

Hi

Am on the lookout for a built in under oven. Looking for advise on whether to buy a single oven or a double oven. Would prefer 2 ovens in order to be able to keep plates/food etc warm whilst cooking in the other one IYKWIM, but the double ovens seem to really small. Does anyone have either or can anyone recommend which I should buy? Thanks in advance.

I think most single ovens have the grill integrated in the oven, so you can't grill and bake/roast at the same time. Also they are a nightmare to keep clean.

I'd definitely go for the double oven option.

Had a double oven in the previous shed, to be honest only used one at a time, the top oven to grill and the bottom for bigger dishes. Size wise it was grand. We went for a single in new shed, as we will only be doing bigger dishes and the george Foreman is heavily used now to grill. You can still grill in the single oven but any grease splashes could cause the oven to smoke when cooking bigger dishes, chap in DID tried to sell us the self cleaning type for 300 quid extra. Haven't used it yet as hob needs to be connected tonight.

Thanks for the advise. Im swaying towards the double I think?! I presume the double will fit into the space in the kitchen?! crikey I hope so anyway........maybe I should wait till Im doing the snag and measure?!

Ta again anyway!

It will fit just let builders know your plans, don't make the same mistake I did and buy an eye level one and DID charged me 10% cause I had taken the plastic off.

In terms of use the lady in the local shop that sold me the double under the counter model assured me that if I needed to I would fit a 32lb turkey in the oven!

The topline stores were doing a discount on hotpoint models, think it ends this week.

We knocked so much use out of our double under-counter oven that we brought it with us when we moved house. We use both ovens the whole time - e.g. heating plates in upper oven while cooking in bottom oven, grilling steaks in top oven with baked spuds in bottom oven, etc, etc. If you're worried about size, Mrs. Cabbage cooked Crimbo dinner for 14 in it with trimmings, no prob.

The double under-counter is ever so slightly higher than the single under-counter, so if you're building a new house, let the fitted kitchen guys know that you're putting in a double under-counter, not a single under-counter, else you'll have a bit of fiddling to do when the oven arrives and you may have problems if you are trying to fit a gas hob and the double under-counter - at least we did.

Just looked up double under-counter ovens elsewhere because I never heard of them before. How do you get a double oven under a kitchen counter? We have one at eye level and I can't imagine how one fits under the counter. Must seem like a stupid question to some!!

Hi Marge, they massage the dimensions of both ovens until they fit under counter. Typically the top oven is a good deal smaller with the lower oven approx 85% the size of a comparable single oven.

MargeSimpson said:
Just looked up double under-counter ovens elsewhere because I never heard of them before. How do you get a double oven under a kitchen counter? We have one at eye level and I can't imagine how one fits under the counter. Must seem like a stupid question to some!!

As already stated they are not the same...the eye level is bigger than the under counter....
the height from the ground to the bottom of the counter top is usually 860 MM. 150 mm kicker(the panel on the bottom)...
doors of cupboards are 720mm high
the counter top is usually 40 mm high

So your opening is 720mm less the bit on the top and bottom you don't cut out. Its tight but you can get double ovens for it....however, most manufacturers only offer 1 or 2 variations for the under counter, whereas the eye level usually has far more choice.

And as someone else did it.......its very very common for people to buy eye level ones and have to take them back as they are different from undercounter!

Back