Building as opposed to buying

Wisecom

Hi all,

ok i know this is a very broad question becuase it depends on location, ,builder, size of the property etc. I'm wondering how much it really costs to get a house built as opposed to buying from a developer. Not in Dublin because obviously you need to be super rich for that! I'm talking about in the countryside. Is it more expensive or for example 20% or 30% cheaper. I have seen a site I like but have no idea how much I would need in mortage terms for the site and to build on it. Any advice or examples from someone who has had it done would be great. Thanks.

As you say it depends. Majority of people who build do so on family land........so it is obviously cheaper than buying becuase you have not site costs.
In terms of buying site & building in Kildare.......ballpark €200k for decent site + say 2500 sq ft @ €120 = €500,000...........still seems cheaper than buying but I suppose you have to factor in time & hassle into that as well - its a lot easier to buy a house than to build one. On the other hand if you build you get exactly what you want whereas buying you have to take what is on offer.
You also need to consider whether you will get pp - local needs issues etc.

Hi Wisecom,

Living in the countyside we have toyed with the idea of building our own house for a long time. Thus far we have decided against it.

The main reason is that to get a site in an ideal location is not easy. When we first thought about building we reckoned a field anywhere would do, but in reality, as the children get bigger, we find we really do need convenience more than anything else, and to get a site in a town would be next to near impossible.

If you build your own home, you get what you want ... but I think what we want and what we need can be poles apart at different stages of our lives.

BTW I think 120 is a bit low for a build cost ... maybe 140 would be closer to the mark.

friends built 3,600 sq ft for 210.000 euro using direct labour... the best of materials and a very unusual structure / layout.......seriously you reckon 140 euro per square foot to contract in a builder for 2,500 sq ft... if this is true my plans of building are disappearing fast !!

Thanks for the replies guys. It's good to be able to calculate a ball-park figure.

Hi there

I enquired about the cost of building a house in the west of Ireland on this site and got quotes ranging from 100-200 yoyo's depending on the quality and finish etc, that's just the build cost and doesn't include the site. Buying a site anywhere in Irelands seems to be extremely expensive and the nearer to a town or large city the greater the cost.

best of luck.

I also got quotes for building in the west of Ireland - my engineer said building in the area was roughly €80/sq ft.

Back