Building a stone house with own hands and no experience

Billythebuilder

Is it possible?

The effort and work side of it would not be a problem.

I'm thinking stone masonary can be self taught and you could use the slipform method.

But say you built your own natural stone walls for the house by yourself , how easy would it be to get it signed off by the authorities?

Is it possible on the legal side in the UK & Ireland?

Cheers

Is it possible?

The effort and work side of it would not be a problem.

I'm thinking stone masonary can be self taught and you could use the slipform method.

But say you built your own natural stone walls for the house by yourself , how easy would it be to get it signed off by the authorities?

Is it possible on the legal side in the UK & Ireland?

Cheers

Is someone going to live in this house when it's built?

Have you any experience at all in building houses? It's not as easy as you might think.

Are you up to speed with Ireland's building regulations?

There's nothing that cannot be learned. But? Good luck with it, come back and tell us how you feel after it all please. As a matter of interest what do you do at the moment?

Is someone going to live in this house when it's built?

Have you any experience at all in building houses? It's not as easy as you might think.

Are you up to speed with Ireland's building regulations?

Thanks everyone. Will check out all those links and get on that FB group.

I dont have any building experience, but was on building sites everyday, years back but as a machinery fitter.

My father basically built a large extension out of collected flint from surrounding farmland, with the help of one bricklayer.

I just wonder how easy it is to get major structural work that you have built with your own hands - like walls for example, signed off by Building Control? Would they take on the risk?

Cheers

It's certainly possible, but the devil is in the details. Start reading up on the building regs and figure out the details on required insulation, ventilation, drainage, etc.. Don't just build the stone house as above, that won't qualify as habitable here.

You mention 'UK & Ireland', different standards apply, you'll need to refer to UK regs if you propose to build there.

After reading comments here and elsewhere i'm thinking that buying a 'derelict' might be the way to go.

Far less hassle getting anything done with regards to regs/paperwork. Can virtually do what you want with a restoration?

Cheers

As above, if it's properly derelict you will need to apply for planning to reestablish its use, and that's before you start dealing with all the other issues like sewage treatment systems, access to utilities, etc..

Can virtually do what you want with a restoration?

In one word, no.

Try your hand building a non critical wall or a shed first - get a taste for the work & your ability. Best of luck with it.

Back