Builder refusing to complete one issue on Snag

Rovers1901

what's the position with builders and snag lists? I ask because I am currently nearing completion on a property and have one outstanding issue on my snag which the builder is point blank refusing to carry out. The actual issue is extremely minor and would cost in the region of 100euro to repair.
My solicitor says there's little I can do from a legal viewpoint. Does anyone have any experience of a similar situation and what did they do? Do the builders crack eventually?

If he still has to be payed (such as a final stage payment) then withholding this until he completes this repair should work.

Maybe some additional history might clarify the situation. Is this a long running saga. eg builder fixes one snag only for buyer owner to complain about something else. Is it even a justified defect?
If its something that only 100 € will fix it must be very minor, too minor to worry about??

There's no long saga of battles with the builder or anything. We have been up till the last week pretty much perfect customers from a developers point of view (coughed up the money at start of year and sat back and waited to be called). The actual problem is that one of the doors leading onto the hall does not have an architrave while the other 3 do. The reason is that the wall is too thick for it to have been fitted as per the others, we said fine why not do a "fake" architrave to restore the balance to the whole hallway and give the impression of 4 identical doors....they have said no and are continuing to say no.

we were intending to hold off on closing but outside factors are meaning that this is increasingly an unlikely option for us.

Overall yes it is a rather minor thing and one I was initially fairly easy going about, their absolute refusal to do anything is now getting my back up though!

In my exprience you never get all snags dealt with. If this one is relatively minor, is holding things up, you can't make any progress on rectifying it and it could potentially jeopardise your purchase then you might be better off forgetting about it and just dealing with it yourself.

Thats so annoying isn't it. We are in a similar situation as yourself. As we are fixing our mortgage we are going to just pay up because of the potential for banks to increase their rates next week or so.

Back