"Bubble" on tyre

frash

Hi,

I clipped a kerb with my back left tyre at the weekend & now a kind of bubble has appeared on the outside wall of the tyre.

Is it safe to keep driving on this tyre or could it possibly blow out at some stage?

Would it be okay as a spare?

Cheers....

What has happened AFAIK is that the reinforced meshing inside the tyre rubber has been broken. This results in the bubble where the mesh has been broken as the rubber alone is not withstanding the air pressure.

I dont think this tyre is usable for a long period of time.

Well this is what i was told last year at a kwik fit when it happened to me.

Definitely replace it as you now have a weak spot on the tyre - increased risk of a blow out if you keep driving it in that condition.

yi, change it now. I ran flat on Thurs night and didn't even consider getting it repaired after driving for a few 100yds on it flat until I realised. Its not worth your life, especially when the roads are extremely slippy at the moment

Got my alignment done on Saturday. The guy noticed what looked like a bulge and a depression. He said that I must have driven it flat - which I didn't.

Tyre garage said the same thing but explained it could have been caused by hitting a kerb.

Either way, both urgently recommended replacement which cost me €180 - I had to buy two for the right match.

Feel safer now, as I would never have seen it.

Thanks for all the replies.
I got a new tyre at lunchtime (€90 - I wasn't worried about my tyres not matching)

Frash, AFAIK it IS important to the cars stability under braking that the tires are 'paired'. So maybe you should go back and get a match for the replacement.

I'm open to correction on this though.

They are the same the size tyre but not the same make.

I doubt all your tyres have to be the EXACT same as each other do they??

Certainly the front two should match and the back two should match.

With some tyres now, there is a left hand side one and a right hand side one -so you shouldn't put a left hand one on the right side and vice -versa.

This system allows the spray etc to always be move backwards, I think?

Ok well now my front two match but the back two don't.

The back two didn't match even before this incidednt so I'm not too concerned.

Thanks

Tyres makes should be paired for safety generally but at the very least the driven wheels should match, if the car is front wheel drive you'll probably be fine.

Back