BTEA - Signing off JB to travel - Problem?

M

MrMac250

I'd really appreciate some advice, as when I asked at my SW office, they seemed a bit unsure!?

I'm back in third level education, and getting the BTEA. I didn't get any grants or student services fees paid for me, as I had been in work the previous year, and the joint income with my wife, was over the limit.

I was a big struggle to find the €1,500 to pay the fees, but I'd only have to pay it once, as I should easily qualify this year!

The academic year is just over, and I'm back signing on, with still a few weeks JB, before I apply for JA.

However, a mate of mine has an apartment in Belgium, and has offered it to us for free, for the summer. I'm thinking of taking my two kids over for 2 months, (July/August), just as a change, and to avail of the opportunity.
I know I'd have to sign-off with the SW, but my concern is will this affect my BTEA in September, or could that harm my application for student fees?
Having to find another €1,500 would be near impossible, and there's just no way I could continue college with the BTEA.

I know students go abroad every summer, to travel, backpack or work, so there must be some sort of provision for this?

Really confused about this, any advice would be great!

TIA.

Try calling your local citizens information office. They are usually very helpful regarding social welfare queries.

I don't understand? Are you already on the BTEA or not? If you are not already on the BTEA, then you won't be able to get on to it if you are not on a qualifying payment immediately before your course starts. If you do go, then you would need to ensure that you are back on a qualifying payment before the course starts. Periods on qualifying payments which are not separated by more than 52 weeks can be added together to make up the qualifying period.

However, if you are on the second year of the BTEA (having previously been on JA/JB), then you do not need to be on a social welfare payment during the summer, your BTEA will stop when your course does, and will be reinstated upon starting up. You can of course apply for a Jobseekers payment during the summer if you meet the criteria, but if you don't, or if you want to go off to Belgium then it won't affect your BTEA.

Check here for the details http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/Pages/bte_all.aspx#3.3

I don't know how it would affect your grant, although I doubt that spending the summer in another country would affect your status, although better check that out yourself to be sure.

Back