BTEA and 2nd yr of a course

naughto

i was planning on going back to finish my degree thinking that i would get beta.i have being informed today that i woulent be able toget beta as i wasnt geting it in the first yr of the course.
why is this???
i will not be able to get the grant as i have to repeat 2nd yr so that me ans i wll have to live on fresh ****ing air.i will have to pay the fees as wel

does any one know if i can get any thing to help me finish my degree

Re: beta and 2nd yr of a course

How long since you left college? This from the guidelines for BTEA:

"Not first year:
In order to qualify for participation in the BTEA scheme an applicant must be commencing the first year of an approved course of study. The intention of this condition is to discourage students from dropping out of college and "signing on" in order to qualify for BTEA for the remainder of a course of study. However, this may not be the case for all social welfare recipients. Each case should be examined individually taking into consideration the length of time out of education and in particular the relevant social welfare payment the applicant is in receipt of. "

4yrs(2005) since i was in college.

Then I think you would have a strong case to be allowed go on BTEA for the 2nd year. Who told you you that you were not entitled? If I were you, I'd go back to them and talk to them about the possibility of exception as I quoted from the guidelines above (it's on the www.welfare.ie site). After all, the scheme it there to try and help you improve your job prospects and get off the dole!

i went to the information officer in my sw she was ****e had not a clue what i was on about i knew more than here.she took my deatils and said that some one would get back to me about it.got a phone call the last day from the sw saying the i have to be in the 1st yr of the course to get it.
i dont see why i shoulent get it ill be geting the same money 204.30 as iam on the dole.if they give it to me ill be graduating that yr and will only have one yr to do for the degree.
so if i do first yr again they will have to pay me for 3 yrs soit be costing them more money

Naughto, is this a second call you and or the one you mentioned in your OP? Definitely go for a second opinion. Also there's a central section that might help you:

Back to Education Schemes

Dept.:
Department of Social and Family Affairs

Social Welfare Services Office
Government Buildings
Shannon Lodge
Carrick-on-Shannon
County:Leitrim

IRELAND

Tel:
(01) 704 3000

its the same phone call.got another call today from the fas i have to meet them on tuesday so hopefully ill be able to get some answers.thanks for the back to education number will give them acall

Back