Broker goes back to lender without consent

FionaT

Back in Sept i went to a few lenders as a FTB trying to get mortgage approval on my own. Soon after a property I wanted came on the market, put deposit down and then went again for approval with parents as guarantors. This time went through a broker who basically sat on her backside for two weeks coming back with quotes from lenders who required extra life assurance for my parents. I decided to go back to the lenders myself i tried in September with guarantors and as it turned out my own bank (AIB)turned it around really quickly and i got approval (without extra life assurance). I had also tried PTSB who are to come back to me this week(again no extra life assurance). After telling my broker I wasn't going with any of her offers she was annoyed because she wasn't getting any business from me. She asked would I deal with PTSB through her (who she initially said came back to her with an unsatisfactory quote).I said I was leaning towards my own bank because of their efficiency. About an hour after this phonecall I get a call from the local PTSB branch "following up with my previous meeting a while ago" i.e. in September. I have a feeling the broker contacted the bank without my consent because when I went to PTSB myself i went through my Dads branch in Dublin and with my initial meeting in September with PTSB, the ball was in my court as to whether to make contact. I realise I gave her permission to go to several lenders but do I have any rights here? Should i ask the bank if someone rang on my behalf? I know this might seem petty but the broker did nothing for 2 weeks and now is just annoyed because she isn't getting business - any advice?

Seems like a coincidence, theres no corolation between PTSB branches and brokers, in fact if the branch rang you directly then it is likely they are competing for the business against the broker. The broker should be dealing directly with head office and not a branch.. ( unless its a very small brokers, but to my knowledge all brokers deal with head office and not branches)

not sure why its causing you concern, if you dont want to go via a broker your not obliged to.

Put it in writing to the broker that you do not want to deal with them, and go direct to either PTSB or AIB, which ever is offering you the best deal.

The title of the thread and the content of the post don't tally and the certainty of the former is undermined by the uncertainty of the latter:
Broker goes back to lender without consent

I have a feeling the broker contacted the bank without my consent

Back