Broadband, what do I need to ask for and is it available anymore?

Monbretia

I was Sky last year, Pure year before, now trying to change back to Pure again or ideally anyone who is €35 pm.

Anyway problem is regarding the line or type of broadband, both Sky & Pure were just routers that plugged into the telephone socket or it's a double socket of some sort that replaced the old phone socket some years ago. Several years back, can't remember exactly when or which provider engineers came to install Fibre which is available here where I am but they wanted to bring it in along the ESB line into the ESB cabinet and it wasn't possible because of the way the 'pipe' had been installed by whoever was doing the upgrades, the pipe or whatever it is doesn't go far enough into my garden under the wall and can't be accessed.

It was no issue with Pure/Sky past two years, I just explained about the fibre issue and they just sent out modem that plugs into socket.

However this year when I went back to Pure I explained the issue to sales person and again no problem, said they would post out modem which I got and email instructions to just 'plug and play' however then got call from engineer saying he needed to install, he turned up and was here to install Fibre to the home, explained story again so he said it should be Fibre to the cabinet, ring back Pure who say no original order was for FTTH, FTTC not available, definitely not if they want to listen back to the conversation!

Anyway rang Pure again and different adviser tells me he is 99% sure I can have the Fibre and wants to send out engineer again, however this visit was due today but I have had a text to tell me they need to do underground survey first so it's delayed! Pure said they wouldn't even sell me the old type now! It has been more than adequate for my needs these past years so I'm not hung up on getting Fibre!

Anyway if you have got this far does any provider just do what I want as I'm weeks behind now with my move from Sky who I have already given notice to so either that will just disconnect one of these days or I'm on the hook for the vastly increased monthly payment.

I was Sky last year, Pure year before, now trying to change back to Pure again or ideally anyone who is €35 pm.

Anyway problem is regarding the line or type of broadband, both Sky & Pure were just routers that plugged into the telephone socket or it's a double socket of some sort that replaced the old phone socket some years ago. Several years back, can't remember exactly when or which provider engineers came to install Fibre which is available here where I am but they wanted to bring it in along the ESB line into the ESB cabinet and it wasn't possible because of the way the 'pipe' had been installed by whoever was doing the upgrades, the pipe or whatever it is doesn't go far enough into my garden under the wall and can't be accessed.

It was no issue with Pure/Sky past two years, I just explained about the fibre issue and they just sent out modem that plugs into socket.

However this year when I went back to Pure I explained the issue to sales person and again no problem, said they would post out modem which I got and email instructions to just 'plug and play' however then got call from engineer saying he needed to install, he turned up and was here to install Fibre to the home, explained story again so he said it should be Fibre to the cabinet, ring back Pure who say no original order was for FTTH, FTTC not available, definitely not if they want to listen back to the conversation!

Anyway rang Pure again and different adviser tells me he is 99% sure I can have the Fibre and wants to send out engineer again, however this visit was due today but I have had a text to tell me they need to do underground survey first so it's delayed! Pure said they wouldn't even sell me the old type now! It has been more than adequate for my needs these past years so I'm not hung up on getting Fibre!

Anyway if you have got this far does any provider just do what I want as I'm weeks behind now with my move from Sky who I have already given notice to so either that will just disconnect one of these days or I'm on the hook for the vastly increased monthly payment.
Assuming you are just on bog standard DSL over copper phone line, any of the telcos do broadband+phone for 35/month with 12 month contract -- Eir and Vodafone as well as Sky and Pure.

I'd agree with dub_nerd, it sounds like you never had Fibre. If you're happy enough with what you had, call Pure and tell them you want their "Unlimited Broadband" offering (even if Fibre is "available" at your address).

Thanks, yes I never had Fibre. I was on and want back the bog standard stuff but Pure now says they won't sell it to me!

I think I'll just scrap them altogether and go with Eir/Vodafone so. Just want the ordinary stuff and phone, more than sufficient for my needs.

Well rang back Pure again and explained again that I wanted bog standard stuff and why, guy I got this time said no problem with that but from notes on his screen I had ordered ftth originally, told him he could go listen to the recorded conversations if he wanted but I definitely didn't! Anyway he had it switched on practically immediately and I'm up and running with the unwanted 'upgrade'.

Odd though that previous guy said they don't even do it anymore and wouldn't sell it to me! Who knows, sorted anyway.

Back