Broadband - actual realised speed

I generally get around 1.6Mbps down/200Kbps up on UTV's 2Mbps/256Kbps package. D7 probably about a mile and a bit from the Crown Alley exchange in case that matters.

I test speeds at this site: [broken link removed]

• hosting365 offer the only independent hosted download speed check that is:
  • Hosted in an independent data centre
  • Directly connected (peered) with all Irish ISP's, Wireless and broadband providers
  • Ensures the most accurate data

yeah same here: 1.7Mb dwn / 210K up rarely changes only at about 6pm or so otherwise alway fast. Bout 1.2 kilometers from local exchange.

yeah same here: 1.7Mb dwn / 210K up rarely changes only at about 6pm or so otherwise alway fast. Bout 1.2 kilometers from local exchange.

tests this morning showing download of 897, upload of 70. on the 2 megs down/256 up.....that is not so good

Sounds like you could actually be on a 1Mbps/128Kbps package even if they ostensibly have you on the 2Mbps/256Kbps package. Has happened to somebody I know on UTV!

Sounds like you could actually be on a 1Mbps/128Kbps package even if they ostensibly have you on the 2Mbps/256Kbps package. Has happened to somebody I know on UTV!

No, on the 2mbps package alright...some tests last night showed 1.1 to 1.2 range.

OK - probably due to contention ratio and more users being on at the time or something?

OK - probably due to contention ratio and more users being on at the time or something?

I'm guessing its distance from the exchange as well as contention. Just hope that it seems to stabalise at a higher rather than lower figure!

The maximum (?) download throughput of c. 1.2Mbps might be explained by distance from the exchange. However the variability (e.g. 897Kbps-1.2Mbps) might be explained by contention ratio and other users sharing at the same time. Or course there could be other explanations for both!

finally up and running with the 2mpbs package from eircom. My speed tests are ranging from 1.02 to 1.6 upload and 40 kbps to 200 kbps upload. Those lower end figures strike me as being fairly low...but the line attenuation figure is as high as 50db

How do you know that it's 50db attenuation?

tests this morning showing download of 897, upload of 70. on the 2 megs down/256 up.....that is not so good

For me rain and wind & especially Frost seems to affect the sync speed. Tested this morning around 11.30am and was down to 1.4Mb dwn / 162K up that's pretty slow for me. (Could be due to today's weather?)

snakebite - I'm not sure if you are serious or not, but your explanation reminds me of the BOFH (Bastard Operator From Hell) stories of long ago. When users would ring up to complain of slow network speeds and disturb his afternoon snooze he would refer to his well thumbed book of excuses . . .

One of my favourites (and one I used myself for a long time) was "The solar flares are pretty bad at the moment, there must be a major inbound solar wave at the moment. This would be reversing the polarity on the wire and causing the slowness. Please contact Jodrell Bank and ask them to confirm when the wave is due to pass. After that time network service should be back to normal." I paraphrase somewhat.

z

How do you know that it's 50db attenuation?
The DSL router browser based admin control panel (possibly in the advanced section) should give such details if I recall correctly.
For me rain and wind & especially Frost seems to affect the sync speed.
On DSL? Doesn't sound plausible to me to be honest.

One of my favourites (and one I used myself for a long time) was "The solar flares are pretty bad at the moment, there must be a major inbound solar wave at the moment. This would be reversing the polarity on the wire and causing the slowness. Please contact Jodrell Bank and ask them to confirm when the wave is due to pass. After that time network service should be back to normal." I paraphrase somewhat.
z

On DSL? Doesn't sound plausible to me to be honest.

Well I 'm definitely not having a laugh.

If you look here http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070207131207AAjh5WM at answerers 2 & 5 they complain about wind, wet etc.. (probably more down the post)
And that's probably what happened to me.
I know for a fact that moisture affects it because the eircom guy left the cable loose under my roof and the winds in November knocked it into the gutter. And when the gutter filled with water from the rain, the DSL was lost completely. When i lifted it out and left it to dry for a few hours, Miraculously my connection came back. I didn't bother with the CS of eircom cause they're no help. But this happened to me twice and since then i've properly secured it to the wall with clips and my connection hasn't dropped since, only slowed down.
As i said this may be a total fluke, but i'm definitely serious and no irony intended.

I'm sure I started a thread long ago asking ppl was the weather at fault for dropping my DSL (my dsl light wouldn't even blink. like when it tries to connect to the isp) then i posted that i lifted the line out of the gutter and it solved the problem.

PS- I was actually helped by an Australian telephone company on their forum, That's how i went to check for water in the gutter in the first place.
Ironic how an Australian would know more about the effects of bad weather on a telephone line more than an Irish person would... LoL.

Here's where i go for help on DSL: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/
This country is terrible for help. Maybe we're just arrogant, i don't know.

Last edited:
snakebite - in fairness, I'm not sure I would qualify the cable sitting in a puddle of water as being directly weather related. If you leave anything electrical in water you will find performance diminishes.

I'm not saying the slowness experienced isn't necessarily weather related, but there are some more obvious potential reasons that would spring to mind first. I know it has been mentioned before but shared bandwidth can explain a lot. All you need is a few peers downloading a couple of movies or something from fast feeds on the internet and available bandwidth through any of the possible bottlenecks on the link between you and eircom and eircom and their upstream links will be reduced. Internet performance is transient and one thing I learned long ago is that taking snapshots of performance is really only of use in the medium term.

z

snakebite - in fairness, I'm not sure I would qualify the cable sitting in a puddle of water as being directly weather related. If you leave anything electrical in water you will find performance diminishes.

I'm not saying the slowness experienced isn't necessarily weather related, but there are some more obvious potential reasons that would spring to mind first. I know it has been mentioned before but shared bandwidth can explain a lot. All you need is a few peers downloading a couple of movies or something from fast feeds on the internet and available bandwidth through any of the possible bottlenecks on the link between you and eircom and eircom and their upstream links will be reduced. Internet performance is transient and one thing I learned long ago is that taking snapshots of performance is really only of use in the medium term.

z

Ok that covers the slowed speed. But it doesn't cover the fact that the DSL light didn't even start to blink and stay on.

I don't know why you sound so convinced i'm deliberately not believing you. Because i do. It's just that i tried all that and nothing worked.

Back