Bringing food into cinemas

Back in the 1970's I remember buying chicken and chips and smuggling them in to the Ormonde Cinema in Stillorgan. It was a real military exercise with one person buying the tickets and the other concealing the greasy bag under their jacket. Ever get hit with a half eaten chicken leg on the back of the head?

I like the nachos with cheese dip and jalpeno peppers in the cinema so I guess I'm guilty of paying the high prices. I usually use free cinema tickets from piggypoints so at least I'm saving on the high ticket price!

BillK said:
Why can't people survive the length of a film show without eating?

Well of course people could "survive" the length of the film without eating - it is not as though they are eating because they are suffering from starvation! They are eating because it adds to the enjoyment of the whole cinema experience. Personally I love a Ben and Jerry's ice-cream when I watch a film in the cinema.

I rarely go to the cinema since having kids as my other half doesn't want to "waste a night out" at the cinema if we do manage a babysitter. When we did go we used to always smuggle in the drinks and sweets but I HAD to have the popcorn and wouild keep eating it even after my lips had turned numb from allt he salt. It just goes together with going to the cinema. Will have to wait until the kids are a little older and can bring them with me to get a night at the cinema again I guess!!!

Apparently there's a cinema in Stillorgan, Dublin (somewhere around there I think) that has matinee viewings for people with babies. The idea is to allow the cinema-starved young parents to get to the cinema by bringing the babes with them. I haven't been to it - sounds like bedlam and I don't feel a dark cinema with loud sound, uneven & flashing lights is the best place for a baby. But there you go!

My wife was just telling me the other day that the bloke she works for and his wife used to bring their baby to the cinema from time to time. Have to say that I've never noticed babies in the cinema before but I guess that most of the movies that I've seen would be rated for an older age anyway.

Man, dont you just love it when yopunare surrounded by people eating thsrt smelly buttered popcorn, of all things, that stuff should be banned. This post will be deleted if not edited immediately, people buy it by the bath load, you end up smelling worse that a smoker when you are done......

I believe there is a cinema in South Dublin (Stillorgan?) who have mother and baby screenings in the afternoon.

aj

I have to second that the price of food in Mahon Point Cork is scandalous. Even Tesco in the same centre have a big ad before most screening for their "snacks and beverages". I try to bring my own. I've succumbed a per times but it's a total rip off.

Just got a reply from the Office of Consumer Affairs and apparently the cinema is within its rights to not allow food be brought onto their premises.

Christy

Christy said:
Just got a reply from the Office of Consumer Affairs and apparently the cinema is within its rights to not allow food be brought onto their premises.

Christy

You'll just have to start bring a rucksac or something they will never go to searching people, just stop people who are being very blatent about it.

Ash said:
Is it usual for babies in buggies to be brought to the cinema? To me it is a bit odd. Not as odd though as being at Bugsy Malone in the Olympia and seeing two parents share the minding of a baby in a buggy.
Was at Blondie in the Olympia just before christmas and a couple had a very young child, probably around 5 or 6 years of age with them. They were in the pit at the front, and it was Very Loud and a wee bit rowdy. We thought it was a bit odd, and in fact they left about an hour into the show. I thought they should have known that it wouldn't be the best place for a very young child.

I remember years ago at the local fleapit when the girl selling Kia Ora got married - apparently she walked down the aisle backwards!

Back