Brexit and UK share-brokers

LoveTrees

Has anyone moved away their shares which were held by UK brokers to European Brokers due to fears on hard Brexit? Could Boris Johnson confiscate our shares at UK Brokers?:eek: I am panicking sorry, any reassurance would be so welcome:(

Unless someone has physically gone to the UK to open an account with a broker there, they should be fine.

UK-branded brokers such as Barclays were tended to operate as branches of UK-based entitities, but now because of Brexit, they’ve incorporated full Irish subsidiaries to ‘Brexit-proof’ themselves.

Could Boris Johnson confiscate our shares at UK Brokers?:eek: I am panicking sorry, any reassurance would be so welcome:(

There's no way assets would be confiscated. The worst outcome would be that there isn't mutual recognition of services so a UK broker would have to ask you to leave as a customer and move your business elsewhere. But as stated, it is likely the larger ones have built an EU regulated entity somewhere so more likely is that they switch you to a different entity in the group

Thank you very much @EmmDee
I watched BJ's face in the news last night and the anger in his face was so visible in my opinion:eek:

Thank you very much @EmmDee
I watched BJ's face in the news last night and the anger in his face was so visible in my opinion:eek:

Think that's more to do with chickens coming home to roost.

He can be as angry as he wants - but even if there was a completely acrimonious split at the end of the year, there is no way UK would appropriate foreign assets - that would literally be Venezuela / post WW2 Soviet type of action. Not exactly a route any UK government would take - even the old "loony left" of the Labour party were proposing something like that

Back