Breeding and selling pups should be banned

Thirsty

Motion: Breeding and selling pups for companion (not service) animals is immoral and unethical and should be banned.

Arguments in favour of the motion:

1. Puppy farms
2. Artificial concept of 'breeds'
3. Dogs which are bred this way often have genetic defects which cause pain, distress and shorten lives
4. There are excessive numbers of dogs and puppies in rescue centres already, who could be given a home instead.

Arguments against the motion:

1. Pointless introducing laws that we can't/won't enforce
2. Puppy breeding generates income for breeders
3. Smaller dogs more appropriate for smaller homes/ children
4. Cross breeds are ugly

Ok, I added that last one to make up the numbers!

Last edited:
There is a place for reputable breeding establishments but only when and only if the current excessive numbers of dogs, strayed, in rescues, being exported (legally to adoption centres in other countries, illegally by illegal and quasi-legal breeders and puppy smugglers). Until that situation is brought under control, stop all breeding by for example, neutering all breeding dogs and not replacing them.

Stop the ludicrous €16.8M subsidy to the Irish Greyhound Board, which kills 6,000 greyhounds annually and illegally exports "excess" dogs to places like Spain, China and Pakistan. By law, greyhounds are not pets or companion animals, the laws that govern their breeding, upkeep, racing, live hare coursing, transportation, etc classify them as "livestock", think cattle, pigs or sheep.

The puppy farming establishments flout the laws with impunity and a variety of local authorities seem to cooperate with them in their illegal operations. In my experience querying why ownership of one well-publicised puppy farm was transferred between family members while there was a planning application for the farm before the council for consideration, I received no answer from the planning officer, the county manager or the county veterinary officer. I received no answers from any of the emails I sent to elected county councillors. The law clearly states that such a transfer by sale or other means cannot take place until all planning matters are finalised. Maybe you've heard the original owner sing at a C&W gig close to you.

I am strongly for the motion and have voted in it's favour by long-term agitation against illegal puppy farms, by financially supporting local rescue centres, adopting dogs out of rescues, writing to government ministers (you'd be amazed at the number of ministers, TD's, senators etc who are embedded in the greyhound industry), protesting outside dog death tracks (some now closed) and protesting RTE's sponsorship of he Rose of Tralee doggy disaster (yes folks, it's a major fund-raiser for greyhound slaughter in and around the Kingdom of Kirry, as a Healy-Rae might say).

I vote "aye".

Back