Break Clause

M

missmiss

Can anyone define what a break clause in a rental agreement must say. I have a lease( I am the tenant) and wish to give one months notice to leave!

Im not sure if my lease has a break clause or not!

Thanks

What length of time is the lease ? How long are you there living in the property ? With these two answers you should be able to get an answer to your query.

Its a year lease.

Just signed it...but need to get out of it!

Well then you could be bunched. Your landlord could sue you for the 11 months of rent non payment. At the very least they will keep your deposit. Search this site for other answers.

There is a paragraph in lease that says i must give 30 days notice.....is this a break clause?

im not worried about the deposit now more the sueing issue!can they do this??

Only if you're worth suing.
Tell them your circumstances have changed and regret that you must leave, giving one month's notice. Be polite. Many landlords are stuck with tenants who can't or won't pay the rent and facing a long drawn out process to get rid of them. You're not doing any thing wrong.
I've never heard of a residential tenant being brought to court over a lease. If you simply don't have the cash then they should be glad you're leaving without a fuss.

Last edited:
"You're not doing any thing wrong."

Actually she is! She signed a one year lease, agreed to all of its terms and now wishes to break out of a legally binding contract.

Theoretically, she can be sued for the whole years rent - if the landlord cannot get another tenant. In practice, whether the landlord will actually sue is another issue - landlord's choice.

mf

Back