Bread soda v Carbonate of soda

They are the same thing

Sodium Bicarbonate is known as Bread Soda, Bicarbonate of Soda, Baking Soda and Cooking Soda.

I find the Odlums brown bread mix brilliant. Just add milk (the bigger packet says add water, but i always use milk).

I find the Odlums brown bread mix brilliant. Just add milk (the bigger packet says add water, but i always use milk).

This is true, but I find that a mixture of brown flour, cultured milk and bread soda to be even better, and cheaper.

It's very good for taking the edge off cat litter odours. Hope the brown bread turns out nice...

Also good mised half and half with salt to unblock blocked sinks if you want to avoid chemicals and don't have a pluner to hand!

brown bread sitting on the wire rack looking and smelling lovely. Used the coarse wholemeal flour, marg, plain flour, buttermilk, egg salt and bread soda

This recipe from Rachel Allens website ( which is actually Darina Allens recipe) is a good basic brown soda bread recipe. My only comment is that I think her oven temps
are too high - 200 and 180 work better for me, but everyones oven is different.

If you dont have buttermilk, sqeeze half a lemon into milk about 10 minutes
before you start and use that.

http://www.rachelallen.co.uk/recipes_april09.html

What about wheaten bread - is it easy to make? I love it.

I heard it can be a bit tricky though.

On the topic of Bread. Anyone know how turnovers are made ? I miss them when I am abroad. Those thick black crusts with real butter is something I grew up with. My girlfriend is from eastern europe and says if people in her country got bread like a turnover with the thick black crusts they'd think it had been burnt and return it as faulty ! In my opinion the crust is the best part !

What about wheaten bread - is it easy to make? I love it.

I heard it can be a bit tricky though.

I dont know exactly what you mean by wheaten bread. I googled
wheaten bread and all the references to it, were that it is the same
as brown soda bread. If so, follow the recipe above, its not tricky at all.

Thought someone might say that and as I grew up in NI - yes, you are probably right! :)

Back