Boundary wall advice

Stitcher

Hi,
I live in a mid terrace house. The back gardens have a concrete block wall running the length of the back lane behind the terrace. It has support pillars incorporated at intervals but not at the exact boundaries of the gardens. Most of the gardens have hedges or fences between the gardens. My neighbour wants to take his back wall down and cut it at the boundary where it joins my property. The wall there is about 5 ft high and one cement block thick, about 4 inches. There is a support pillar about 3 foot in from my boundary, which is part of his wall. If he cuts it at my boundary, should he not reinforce the cut end so my wall is more stable? He does not want to do this and said I should do it myself. Who would I get a professional opinion from, or advice on about this ?
Thanks

A couple of questions that might help with the technical part of your question but not the financing part of the question...

a) Where there are pillars along the length of the wall now, how far apart are they?
b) If you neighbor proceeded to knock the wall & associated pillar as proposed what length of wall would be left without a pillar to anchor into?
c) Is the answer to b) more or less than half the answer to a)?

If it's less than half, I don't think I'd be concerned.
If it more than half I'd be looking at getting a professional opinion.

Hope this work out for you.

Thanks Horatio,
I'll measure tomorrow but I think it would be less than half. We have a back gate inserted into the middle of our back wall with a new support pillar either side. There is about 3 m of wall then to the neighbours boundary, then 1-2 metres into his property then the support pillar. I think the original distance between support pillars was bigger than 5 m but will have to check tomorrow. Lots of people have rebuilt the walls. I just think cutting the wall and leaving it with a thin edge/width doesn't sound right.
Would it need some level of support on that cut end? A wooden or metal post? Or more concrete blocks?

Who would I get for a professional opinion, a builder?

Back