Bought with friend, when to sell up?

paperclip

hi, i bought a house with a friend of mine, just over a year ago.

i'm just wondering when the best time to sell up would be.

for some reason, we plucked 5 years out of the air, is there an adverage time frame?

i was watching the "would you buy a house with a stranger" programme on bbc [broken link removed] , and they're advised to sell up after 2 years.

any advice would be appriciated.

paperclip said:
hi, i bought a house with a friend of mine, just over a year ago.

i'm just wondering when the best time to sell up would be.

for some reason, we plucked 5 years out of the air, is there an adverage time frame?

i was watching the "would you buy a house with a stranger" programme on bbc [broken link removed] , and they're advised to sell up after 2 years.

any advice would be appriciated.

I would have thought its really a personal thing depending on your circumstances and future plans. Selling after just 2 years seems a little odd to me given the transaction costs of buying and selling though I think they may be lower in the UK. Also what if the market stagnates, 2 years is a very short time frame.

Your figure of 5 years seems more realistic though I would say it might be a good idea to come to an understanding of what you will do if your arbitrary date happens to coinicide with a downturn in the market i.e. do you sell anyway or hang in for a while longer.

I agree with dam -- sell when it suits you.

I stumbled onto that BBC show when channel surfing. They went on "dates" with the prospective house-share partners. If this catches on in Ireland, then we'll know the bubble really has peaked.

I think a timeframe may be more suitable in an environment of steady house price growth, however with the market the way it is in Ireland at the mo, I'd also be inclined to set a benchmark price where the two of you sit down and have a good chat about the option of selling up.

I'm assuming you bought into the market together so that you wouldn't be priced out of it a few years down the line. With that in mind, making a decent profit ranks up there with having a home to live in - a different situation to a couple buying together, for example. Assuming you'll each buy seperately after this house, your minimum profit on the sale will need to cover the estimated stamp duty costs of buying 2 seperate homes and returning the deposits you both put into the house, and that's just in order to effectively break even. Beyond that, I'd be hoping to make enough to cover two seperate deposits at least.

You should also bear in mind that your risk is somewhat different to a FTB couple. As I said, the FTB couple would only be buying one house if they were moving on, whereas you guys would probably be buying two seperately, with all the stamp duty and other transaction charges that entails. Secondly, the FTB couple could always stay put if the market goes pear-shaped (assuming they stay together!) whereas if one of you meets the love of your life, you could be in a right pickle trying to move on after a market slump/crash/soft-landing etc.

Back