Bought new - Faulty Tap

darraghdog

I have bought a bathroom suite from a building provider. When the plumber installed everything and we turned it on we noticed that the bath tap is cracked down the back, causing water to be sprayed out behind.

As you would guess, the labour to replace the tap will probably cost a lot more than the actual tap.

The plumber said to call the provider, they would send out a rep to estimate the renistallation cost, and they would pay for this and give you a new tap. However I called the provider, just before the long weekend, and on first talk they offered to replace the tap only - and asked to call back.

Did anybody have similar experiences, and am I within my rights asking for the installation charges also ?

Darragh

Your plumber really should be willing to install this himself for free for you. How did he or she not notice the cracked tap anyway?

I'd agree with the previous post that your plumber should replace the tap for you. But - if he's been paid and has finished working for you the pipes in hell will probably have frozen over before he'll come back for a job that small.

It really is a very simple DIY job for you if you'd consider replacing it yourself. Make sure you have isolated the water supply (which you must have already done or the water would still be spraying) first.

If the plumber has supplied the tap then I would agree with the previous two posters.

If DD bought the tap & then asked the plumber to install it then its not clear to me that the plumber should be expected to bear the cost of redoing work due to faulty materials supplied by others.

Equally if the plumber had supplied & fitted everything then I would expect him to standover the entire job. If he just installed parts that DD bought then I would expect him to just standover the labour element of the job

Hi Folks,
FYI... I bought the parts and the plumber is labour only.
The building supplier whom I bought it off have contacted the manufacturer who have a local rep. He has come around to have a look at it and will be sending his own plumber to reintstall a new one.
Darragh.
Ps. I think it takes a bit of pushing to get them to reinstall and supply, as opposed to just supply.

Back