Bought aunts hse Dec08, lived till Aug09 then bought new hse, aunt is tenant, NPPR?

G

gigicasey

Hi
I have lived in my current residence since August 2009.

While this house was being built we lived in my aunts house from 2006 and subsequently bought this from her in December 2008. This was our main home until we moved into our new house in August 2009.

My aunt is currently renting the first property back from us and is claiming rent supplement since April 2009.

We did enquire in 2009 whether we were liable to pay the NPPR charge and I assume due to the act being misunderstood (!) we were told that we did not have to pay this charge as it was a relative living in the house.

Last week we received a bill from local authority for 1200 NPPR since 2009 including fees and penalties.

Fair cop that we owe for 2010 and 2011 but as we lived in the house until August 2009 I would not think that we would owe for that. This is the bulk of the charge at €580.

The LA has asked for a letter stating that we were resident in the original dwelling on 31st July 2009.

Has anyone had a similar experience and what was the outcome?

Thank you

The LA has asked for a letter stating that we were resident in the original dwelling on 31st July 2009.
I don't see the problem, you just have to send the Local Authority a letter stating and maybe proving you were resident (utility bills etc)

Back